DiskDigger is a great, free file-recovery software application.
- Free, easy to use
- If the type of file you're looking to recover using a sector scan isn't in DiskDigger's list the program won't find it
DiskDigger is a free, easy-to-use recovery program that in many cases works as well as EasyRecovery Professional, Active@ File Recovery, etc. If you need to recover data, your mouse should run, not walk, to the download link. It's hard to believe that it's free.
DiskDigger goes well beyond the usual undelete utility that's offered gratis as a leader product, although it does that. It will also dig beneath the file system to recover data on a sector-by-sector basis from hard drives, thumb drives, and so on. (Think of sectors as little boxes containing data that are arranged in tracks/circles on your hard drive.)
DiskDigger couldn't be easier to use. Select a drive, select the types of files to be recovered (jpeg, mp3, documents, etc) then click next. We actually had a brand new partition-trashed hard drive on hand to test DiskDigger with. To be honest, we weren't expecting a free program to recognise the hard drive, let alone recover data from it. It found files — and recovered them.
Our only complaint with DiskDigger is that if the type of file you're looking to recover using a sector scan (it will undelete any file type) isn't in the DiskDigger's list, it won't find it. Common types that are missing are Outlook personal folders and text files. There should be a "*.*" option or the ability to define file types. Still, many common file types are there and that should cover the majority of home users.
New for DiskDigger 0.8.1 is the ability to search ISO disk images for missing or existing files. You may now also limit a search to a logical drive (some disks are partitioned into multiple logical drives: C:, D:, E:, etc) instead scanning the entire physical drive.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCProject Manager - open source softwareACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT