Divoom Voombox-Travel rugged Bluetooth speaker
You can use this colourful little speaker while on outdoor adventures, or even while you're in the bathroom. The choice is yours because it has an IP44 ingress rating
- Plenty of volume and good overall sound
- No line-in jack
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Christmas is a great time for Bluetooth speakers. They make for a useful gift for all ages due to the wide selection of colours, shapes and capabilities that are available, and prices are equally varied. Mixing up the category a little is the Divoom range of Bluetooth speakers, which includes splash- and dust-resistant models that can be used outdoors. The one we're revieweing here is the Divoom Voombox-Travel.
This is a colourful little speaker that shouldn't cost you any more than a about $70, and the big deal about it is that it has an IP44 rating for water ingress and dust penetration, and is designed to be used outdoors. Whether you're camping by the lake or picnicking at a city park, whether you're sitting by the pool or mixing it up at the beach, as long as you don't sumberge the speaker in water or sand, it will be sweet.
If too much water ends up on the speaker driver, it will be weighed down and struggle to make the air move and produce sound. You'll have to clear the water and let it dry a little before the sound gets back to normal. Just remember that it will withstand slight splashes only!
It has a rugged exterior with a rubber lining around the edge that acts as a bumper, and the micro-USB port is covered so that dirt from your adventures doesn't end up clogging it. There are buttons for power, volume, and for the hands-free phone function, and they are all sealed as well. At one end, there is a metal clasp so that you can pass a strap through it and hang the speaker from wherever you desire (perhaps the base of your shower head).
Sound is delivered through one 2-inch, full-range speaker at the top, and there is a 2-inch passive bass radiator on the bottom. It's the radiator's job to enhance the low-end frequencies (kind of like a bass port in a bigger speaker would).
You can't expect stellar sound quality from a speaker such as this one. It's not like it's a Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay A2 or anything, but for the price you pay, it's definitely a serviceable little unit. We hooked it up to our Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone without any issues using Bluetooth 4.0 and streamed some of the tunes we have stored in Google Play Music.
In terms of genres, we played a bit of everything on it, including Mariah Carey's Emotions album. The singer's glorious vocals came through loud and clear on songs such as Can't Let Go and Till The End of Time (our favourites), but the music did sound a little flat — expectedly so considering the size of the speaker and the fact that it's not stereo.
When we played heavy hip-hop beats, the speaker bounced around on the table a little in a comical fashion and we could really feel the vibrations coming through the furniture. It was an awesome display of power, so we just turned the volume down a little. We found that the speaker sounded best when we placed the it on a soft surface so that some of the bass could be absorbed.
Overall, though, it's hard not to be happy with this speaker. We could definitely listen to it on a daily basis, either at work, at home, outdoors, wherever. The sound from it is enjoyable and it comes out with plenty of volume. There is an internal lithium ion battery that Divoom states can last for up to six hours. If you're really stuck for power, you can always juice it up with a portable charger such as the TP-Link 10400mAh Power Bank.
Pick up this little Divoom Voombox-Travel speaker yourself or for any outdoors lovers who would enjoy listening to music while adventuring.
• B&O BeoPlay A2 portable Bluetooth speaker review.
• Lenco's PlayConnect can add Wi-Fi to your Hi-Fi
• If you're after a multiroom speaker system that can play music from your phone or tablet, Lenco's PlayLink will allow you to do just that.
• If you want to buy a new Bluetooth speaker rather than use your old stereo, try the Polk Woodbourne. It's one of favourites due to its powerful sound and sturdy design.
• The Braven 855s and 850 are good choices if you want portable Bluetooth speakers, and if you buy two of them you can actually create a truly mobile stereo Bluetooth speaker system.
• Logitech's UE Boom box is also a good option if you want a portable speaker.
• Sony's SRS-X5 bluetooth speaker is a portable 2.1 system with loud sound.
• Best Bluetooth devices for streaming music from a smartphone or tablet to a stereo system
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTGraduate Application Support Analyst -SMSF SoftwareNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security DomainVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTSecurity Lead / ConsultantNSW
- CCEnterprise/Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior Drupal Developer / ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCLead SAP SRM DeveloperACT
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- FTSenior Capacity Planner | Contract through till DecemberVIC
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- FTPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Marketing Analyst | Immediate startVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security EnvironmentACT
- CCFinancial/Logistics Administration OfficerACT
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthQLD
- FTOracle DeveloperACT
- FTData Analyst LeadSA
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC