Diskeeper 10.0 Professional Premier Edition
- Comprehensive, Works Well, Great Interface
- May slow down other programs, Expensive
Despite the presence of a Windows defrag tool, we found this program extremely useful. If you are willing to pay its asking price then it won’t let you down.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Given the frequency with which we bleat on about good PC practice, you'd be forgiven for thinking we were paragons of IT virtue. Sadly, this isn't always the case - Diskeeper's discoveries on one of our hoary old review PCs came like a much-needed shout of 'take some of your own advice' Even today's vast hard drives are quickly filled with files and programs large and small, which leads to a drop in performance. Whether defragging addresses this is a point of debate, but the general consensus is that it does. If you want to defrag, Diskeeper is an excellent way to do so, despite the defrag tool already present in Windows.
It comes in many flavours - but we decided to test the Professional Premier Edition. After a rapid installation and registration, you're faced with a simple interface. Your PC's drives are displayed in the top pane. A single click tells Diskeeper to analyse one. Full marks for the user interface; clear, concise and extremely easy to navigate.
The results are displayed in a colour-coded bar chart so you know just how badly your PC needs defragmentation. In our case, this was badly, so we quickly hit Defragment. You can work while this process churns on, but you'll find some programs run more slowly. Once you're nicely defragged, you can set up Frag Shield to offset future problems. What's more, you can schedule regular boot-time defrags and enable the 'Set it and forget it' mode.
And the results? Well, our 30GB hard disk was virtually full and totally miserable before we defragged - and slightly less stuffed but far perkier afterwards. This program is easy to use, has plenty of useful functionality and does what it's supposed to. Whether you're prepared to pay for this when Windows has a (limited) built-in defrag tool will depend on your circumstances, but there are plenty of versions to choose from.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Project Server/SharePoint exposureACT
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTTandem/NonStop Technical ConsultantWA
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW