- Sounds brilliant, looks great
- Heavy, expensive
A wonderful amplifier that provides brilliant sound, but at a premium cost.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The Denon PMA-2000AE is a huge piece of machinery. It weighs more than most televisions and takes some real muscle to even pick up. As an analogue audio amplifier, we were expecting some serious sound quality and we were not disappointed in that regard. Don't get confused though, it's not a digital receiver; which means you can't run any video through it. It is purely for high quality audio reproduction.
Most sources, be they CD players, DVD players or PCs, lack the ability to adequately amplify sound. An amplifier won't actually make your music sound any better than it is already capable of sounding, but what it does is enhance the sound by reproducing the signal at a stronger level, helping to bring out the intricacies and nuances of each piece. When listening to music with a high quality amplifier you will notice a massive improvement.
The 2000AE definitely brought out the best in our music. The best way to describe the sound was punchy. It gave some serious strength to the mid range, and gave the bass a real kick, even without a subwoofer. The detail in Jeff Buckley's songs was absolutely fantastic; it allowed us to hear elements that we'd never noticed before, not even on $400 headphones with a solid source. The soundstage was similarly incredible; even on mediocre speakers we were impressed with the depth and positioning of the audio. We had absolutely no complaints about the sound quality; it was everything we could have hoped for, and more.
The unit itself is cased in slick, silver metal, with grates running along the top and presuming you've got The Hulk to help stack it for you, it will look fine in any home theatre setup. The control set is quite simple, offering a certain elegance that cluttered, digital receivers can't quite manage.
There are three controls for treble, bass and balance, as well as a volume knob, power button and input selector. Because it isn't a digital tuner, there are no preset sound modes or digital options such as DTS, but that is to be expected. The available options give more than enough control to manipulate most elements of the music.
On the rear plate of the 2000AE are the inputs and outputs, and there are an absolute mountain of them. The back is littered with ports, mostly stereo, as digital or coaxial signals would be worthless to this unit. The 2000AE has the capacity to support up to seven devices, with two able to record through it. There are connections for two speakers, both regular and bi-wired varieties, and a lineout for a subwoofer. It offers everything you need for a great audio setup.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MifidVIC
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- FTJunior Applications SupportSA
- FTSecurity Monitoring SpecialistVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Performance AnalystQLD
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTJava Developer - Short team Contract @ CanberraNSW
- FTPurchase Orders Administrator.VIC
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCInfosphere ConsultantACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectWA
- FTSecurity Lead / ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Lead Developer/Architect - TelcoVIC
- FTAutomation Test AnalystSA
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTGIS Software DeveloperQLD
- CCDocument Scanning OfficerACT