- Sounds brilliant, looks great
- Heavy, expensive
A wonderful amplifier that provides brilliant sound, but at a premium cost.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
The Denon PMA-2000AE is a huge piece of machinery. It weighs more than most televisions and takes some real muscle to even pick up. As an analogue audio amplifier, we were expecting some serious sound quality and we were not disappointed in that regard. Don't get confused though, it's not a digital receiver; which means you can't run any video through it. It is purely for high quality audio reproduction.
Most sources, be they CD players, DVD players or PCs, lack the ability to adequately amplify sound. An amplifier won't actually make your music sound any better than it is already capable of sounding, but what it does is enhance the sound by reproducing the signal at a stronger level, helping to bring out the intricacies and nuances of each piece. When listening to music with a high quality amplifier you will notice a massive improvement.
The 2000AE definitely brought out the best in our music. The best way to describe the sound was punchy. It gave some serious strength to the mid range, and gave the bass a real kick, even without a subwoofer. The detail in Jeff Buckley's songs was absolutely fantastic; it allowed us to hear elements that we'd never noticed before, not even on $400 headphones with a solid source. The soundstage was similarly incredible; even on mediocre speakers we were impressed with the depth and positioning of the audio. We had absolutely no complaints about the sound quality; it was everything we could have hoped for, and more.
The unit itself is cased in slick, silver metal, with grates running along the top and presuming you've got The Hulk to help stack it for you, it will look fine in any home theatre setup. The control set is quite simple, offering a certain elegance that cluttered, digital receivers can't quite manage.
There are three controls for treble, bass and balance, as well as a volume knob, power button and input selector. Because it isn't a digital tuner, there are no preset sound modes or digital options such as DTS, but that is to be expected. The available options give more than enough control to manipulate most elements of the music.
On the rear plate of the 2000AE are the inputs and outputs, and there are an absolute mountain of them. The back is littered with ports, mostly stereo, as digital or coaxial signals would be worthless to this unit. The 2000AE has the capacity to support up to seven devices, with two able to record through it. There are connections for two speakers, both regular and bi-wired varieties, and a lineout for a subwoofer. It offers everything you need for a great audio setup.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCIT Infrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD