- Great audio quality, ample connectors
- Lots of parts, bulky
Denon's Hurricane is a good choice for anyone looking to establish a serious home theatre. The sound quality is fantastic and the array of connections ensures it won't be obsolete any time soon.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
Denon's Hurricane home theatre kit is comprehensive, and offers great sound. The bundle comprises a centre speaker, subwoofer, two front speakers, and two rear speakers in addition to a standalone DVD player and surround sound receiver. The speakers are not sold separately, but you can grab the surround sound receiver for $699 and the DVD player for $299. The entire kit (with six speakers) retails at $1999, which is a pretty good deal considering the quality of the output.
The Denon DVD-1710 DVD player is relatively simple, with the front panel featuring a tray for DVDs and CDs, and basic buttons to control playback. The unit measures 44 x 22 x 8cm and weighs a mere 2kg. It's designed to play both DVD and CD (including burnt media), and also handles MP3 and WMA discs. The rear panel features a standard array of connections: RCA audio out, component and composite out, S-Video out and SCART. Digital coaxial and optical sockets are also provided to integrate the DVD player with the AVR-1705 surround-sound receiver.
The six-channel receiver, in contrast with the straightforward DVD player, is covered in buttons and connectors--not only for the speakers, but also for source components. The source list is massive: six RCA audio inputs along with coaxial and two optical connectors. There are three component video inputs and a single output, along with five S-Video/composite AV inputs, and FM and AM antenna connectors. There's even an outgoing power connector, so you can daisy-chain devices off a single power socket. A headphone connector and alternate composite video/audio sockets are located amid the array of buttons on the front panel. DTS and Dolby Surround are supported natively. The enormous array of buttons is a little daunting at first, but we found the receiver easy to use after some minor adjustments. The receiver measures 44 x 42 x 15cm and weighs 11kg.
The kit sounded fantastic, offering plenty of punch with rich, deep lows and ear-shattering high end. There's also fine attention to detail that impressed us further: all the speakers are bundled with cables, and there's a 3m cable included for the subwoofer. Add a screen and you'd have a pretty impressive home theatre. A two-year warranty covers all components in the kit and provides a little peace of mind for what works out as a sizeable investment.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTERP Data Migration Consultant - Software Company - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior consultant/ Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)NSW
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT