Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW
- Good image quality, lots of inputs
- Poor motion display
The Dell 2405PCW includes great still-image quality and several entertainment inputs at a category-busting price.
Price$ 1,440.00 (AUD)
At its native wide-screen resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels, the Dell 2405FPW showed remarkable colour and clarity. On test screens, text looked sharp, and images looked crisp and saturated. The 24" wide screen performed particularly well on our Web page test screen, displaying highly legible text and subtle distinctions in shading. On the other hand, the brightness--specified by the vendor at 500 nits (units of luminance)--seemed excessive at the monitor's default settings, causing our test screen of a brilliantly collared fruit to look a little washed out.
Dell sensibly placed two of the monitor's four USB 2.0 ports on the left-hand side of the bezel, where they're readily accessible. The 2405FPW's nine-in-one media-card reader, situated next to the bezel-mounted ports, would be a boon for a digital photographer.
The 2405FPW includes height, pivot, swivel and tilt adjustments for comfortable viewing. It doesn't come with pivoting software, however.
The Dell's numerous inputs should endear it to entertainment-minded buyers. The 2405FPW accepts not only analog and digital output from a PC, but also composite, component and S-Video from consumer electronic devices such as DVD players and camcorders. Each input is clearly labelled and numbered on the back, and the corresponding numbers on the front bezel light up as you select the input.
The existence of inputs does not translate into excellent output, however. When we played our test DVD movie through our PC's digital output, the 2405FPW showed fuzzy images and somewhat dull colours. When we connected a high-quality DVD player to the monitor via its component inputs, the colours improved, but the image still lacked crispness. Details did look impressive in dark areas, though, particularly in the highlights on a black velvet cloak.
Dell rates the 2405FPW's response time at 12 milliseconds, which is its intergrey (or grey-to-grey) response time; its rise-and-fall (or black-to-white) response time is 16 milliseconds. These match the response time specs of the ViewSonic VP231wb.
Overall, moving images looked best when played at small size in a picture-in-picture window. Despite the appeal of this 24" wide-screen monitor for office tasks, it won't replace a TV for full-screen DVD viewing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC