Well-priced calibration solution
- High-quality colorimeter, easy-to-use and powerful software, low price, real-time ambient light adjustment
- Lacks innovative tools of other solutions
If you don't want one of the all-in-one monitor and printer calibration solutions, the Spyder3Elite is a well-priced choice.
Price$ 465.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Over the past year we've seen plenty of innovation in the colour-calibration market, with the emergence of combination monitor-and-printer calibration systems such as Pantone's ColorMunki and the Colour Confidence Profiler. The ColorMunki is also capable of being used as a real-world Eyedropper tool.
The Spyder3Elite eschews the trend, in favour of a higher-grade of monitor calibration — though it is available in a bundle with the Spyder3Print printer calibrator as the Spyder3Studio. It has some innovations of its own, but overall it's essentially an upgraded version of the Spyder2.
The Spyder3 device has a larger measurement area and is 400 per cent more sensitive than the previous model — and is of a higher grade than most of its rivals, based on Datacolour's quoted stats.
The company has given the Spyder's design an overhaul, keeping the 'alien spaceship' shape of the Spyder2 but ditching the dull grey and black design for a high-reflective metal finish that looks like an intriguingly geeky desk ornament.
You may want to keep the Spyder3Elite on your desk at all times, as it features an ambient light sensor on its front. This is used during calibration, but can be set to be always on using the software's advanced tools — so it adjusts your monitor to lighting changes in your studio automatically. Considering the British weather, this could be a very useful function.
The Spyder3Elite software is excellent. It's a straight-down-the-line monitor calibration tool, with simple and advanced modes. The advanced mode offers a huge amount of control to match different studio lighting conditions and gamma curves — including Cineon for post-production of telecined film stock.
The software also includes the StudioMatch Assistant, so multiple displays can be calibrated to match each other — essentially limiting their palettes to the weakest one.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCPorfolio Value Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- FTSAP FI/CO module- Tester/ Quality AnalystNSW
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- CCStrategic Planning OfficerACT
- CCWebSphere Message BrokerACT
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW