D-Link Australia 3G Mobile Router (DIR-451)
D-Link's DIR-451 3G router that can distribute a 3G signal over its four-port 10/100 Ethernet switch or 802.11g wireless access point.
- Can share a 3G network connection over Ethernet or wireless connections
- Supports only 32-bit PC Card devices
This router is for users who want to share a 3G Internet connection. It's not a versatile device—it won't also double as an ADSL router, for example—but for its designed purpose, it will do a good job.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
When an Internet connection has to be set-up and shared in a location without any Internet infrastructure, D-Link's DIR-451 will come in handy. It's a 3G router that can distribute a 3G signal over its four-port 10/100 Ethernet switch or 802.11g wireless access point.
You can't use it to distribute an ADSL connection—it's purely a device for plugging in a data card that will access the Internet over the 3G mobile phone network. It will accept 32-bit PC Card-based UMTS and HSDPA data cards only. Users with newer ExpressCard-based data cards will have to look elsewhere.
Setting up the router is a relatively simple exercise: plug in your data card, switch on the router, and go through the wizard to select your network details. Of course, the Internet bandwidth available will vary depending on the location you're in, but in areas with a strong signal, many users will be able to check e-mail and browse the Web comfortably.
Once your Internet connection is up and running, the DIR-451 is a standard router: it has a DHCP server, network address translation, network filtering and port forwarding. Encryption for data travelling over the wireless network can be implemented using WEP, WPA or WPA2 (TKIP and AES) and the router does have a built-in active firewall, as well as VPN passthrough options (PPTP, L2TP and IPSec).
Its wireless access point supports Super-G transfer rates, so you can get reasonably fast transfer rates over short distances (approximately 3MBps) when copying files across the local area network. In 802.11g mode, the wireless signal will be usable at up to approximately 20m, but this will depend on the physical environment.
Because it can be set-up to provide Internet and network access at remote locations, it's ideal for travelling business users and also for temporary set-ups, such as outdoor exhibitions or even building sites. It doesn't ship with a car adapter, so contractors hoping to set-up mobile Internet access while on the road might have to find another solution or get their own adapter.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTCustomer Support/Helpdesk Support SpecialistQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD