Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock
The Cygnett GrooveTime II is an iPod dock and alarm clock with an FM tuner and good sound quality.
- Looks good, small, relatively good sound quality
- Remote control lacks full iPod menu functionality, remote control buttons often unresponsive
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock and alarm clock looks good and sounds great, especially when it's relatively small price and size are considered. Its only let-downs are the remote control's lack of full iPod menu functionality and its unresponsive buttons.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock and alarm clock is small and cute, but it also produces a surprising amount of good quality sound. Although it is compatible with a wide variety of Apple iPods and with the iPhone, has an auxiliary connection and can receive FM signals, it doesn't offer complete iPod menu control.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II is a petite white block with an iPod connector on top, 2W speakers on the left and right side, a clock on the front and a power connection at the back next to the AUX port. The digital display can be dimmed so it's not distracting at night.
When setting the time on the clock, it's best to use the buttons on the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock itself. The remote control's keys are often unresponsive (you also can't scroll through numbers by holding down a button). It also can't control iPod menu functions like changing the album or artist, restricting users to skipping tracks and play/pausing.
Once you've set the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock up, you're able to enjoy its surprisingly good audio quality.
We found that the mid-range notes from instruments like the piano came out smoothly, but the speakers often struggled to hit high treble notes without suffering from distortion. This was particularly apparent in electronic tracks like "Ice Cream" by the New Young Pony Club. Low notes sound good given the speakers' size, but it doesn't match the performance of the similarly priced Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy. The Cygnett GrooveTime II also has a bass booster that lets you pick the level of bass being played, but turning this up reduces frequency distinction.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock also works as an FM radio, and the auto tuner can assign presets to the stations it picks up. Although there are no individually numbered preset buttons, hitting the skip track buttons will shift between various stations. We found that the antenna was able to pick up FM signals quite well, but the external antenna detracts from the overall look.
The Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock is compatible with the Apple iPhone 3G, the Apple iPhone, the iPod touch (second generation), the Apple iPod nano (fourth generation), the Apple iPod touch, the Apple iPod classic, the Apple iPod nano (third generation), the Apple iPod (updated fifth generation), the Apple iPod nano (second generation) and any other iPod with a standard dock connector.
If you're after an iPod dock with a small form factor and big sound, the Cygnett GrooveTime II iPod dock provides plenty of features in a cute package. Just make sure you're happy with the limited menu control.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- FTIntegration Specialist - TIBCONSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMVIC
- FTSystem AnalystsACT
- TPProject Support AnalystNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Infrastructure - NV1 ClearanceACT
- TPPHP Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2/ 3 Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystWA
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTMobile Studio Lead/ Mobile UX LeadNSW