- Slim, stylish design, comfortable to wear for long periods, work with iPhone
- Poor bass response, harsh frequencies
The GrooveStyle aren't the best sounding headphones by a long shot, but their stylish design means they are a slight upgrade on many of the standard ear buds packaged with portable music players.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Cygnett's latest in-ear headphones, the GrooveStyle, definitely live up to the second part of their name. Unfortunately, the "groove" is let down by a lack of adequate bass response.
Despite claiming to have "precise bass response", we found the bass quite poor. Even with the equaliser settings on our music player switched to bass boost, the GrooveStyle struggled to produce adequate levels of bass. Subtle frequencies were largely inaudible.
In other areas, the GrooveStyle produces bright mid-range and high-range frequencies. These also lacked detail and aren't well controlled, which gives them somewhat of a tinny sound. In addition, we found high-range frequencies quite harsh.
Despite these sound quality issues, the GrooveStyle is still a slight upgrade to most ear buds that come pre-packaged with digital music players and mobile phones, particularly the stock iPod and iPhone ear buds. We managed to test the GrooveStyle with the iPhone despite the recessed headphone jack; Cygnett has designed this model to fit perfectly. Audiophiles and those who are highly concerned with sound quality need not apply, but for those after a relatively inexpensive set of headphones to replace their stock ones, the GrooveStyle may fit the bill.
One aspect that Cygnett has managed to get almost spot-on is the design. The GrooveStyle features a rotatable clip that hooks over each ear and we found these quite comfortable to wear for long listening periods. The rotatable hook means the headphones should fit most ears quite comfortably. The black ear buds and chrome and silver metal clips look quite attractive, so there is definitely some style about these headphones. Their lightweight frame and slim design also makes them ideal to carry around when travelling.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCChange Manager- Success Factors/HCMNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW