Creative Labs Zen Vision
- Sleek design, wide format support
- Windows only
Support for all common video and audio formats, coupled with a sleek, lightweight design and improved user interface help make Creative's Zen Vision, a top-notch media player - provided you have a Windows PC.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Creative's Zen Vision is a follow-up to the popular Portable Media Centre, but represents a fundamental redesign that eschews Microsoft's portable media centre design in favour of a fresh interface. Instead of relying on Windows Media Player to transfer files, the Vision ships with the Creative MediaSource and Media Explorer applications for Windows that are used to handle media and manage data on the device. Unfortunately, Mac and Linux users are still left out.
The Zen is encased in a magnesium body, which helps keep the weight to around 250 grams. The black and silver device (white is also available) measures 12 x 7.5 x 2 cm with a row of buttons on the right-hand side of screen to handle playback and navigation. The bottom panel sports USB 2.0 and docking connectors, while the left includes a CompactFlash type 1 and 2 slot for viewing or transferring media files from a CompactFlash memory card to the 30GB internal hard disk. Power and AV connectors are found next to a headphone socket on the right-hand face under a protective rubber cover. A removable, rechargeable lithium ion battery snaps onto the back and provides up to 13 hours of continuous audio or 4.5 hours of video playback, which should be enough to keep most users happy.
Creative has worked hard to roll in the functions of its other portable media players and the Vision includes a 3.7-inch colour screen running at a native resolution of 640 x 480 pixels, along with a video out connector, FM tuner, and a microphone. One extremely useful feature is the ability to synchronise data with Microsoft Outlook, so the Vision can be used as a personal organizer as well as a media player.
A wide range of video popular formats are supported, including Windows Media 9, MPEG-1, -2 and -4, motion JPEG, DivX four and five and XviD. The 262,000 colour transreflective screen performs well, and both photos and video clips are clearly visible outdoors.
Support for all common video and audio formats, coupled with a sleek, lightweight design and improved user interface help make Creative's Zen Vision, a top-notch media player.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- FTOPEN _ ASAP_Technical Specialist COEACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- FTRelease Planning LeadVIC
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCWeb DeveloperACT