Creative Labs Zen Vision
- Sleek design, wide format support
- Windows only
Support for all common video and audio formats, coupled with a sleek, lightweight design and improved user interface help make Creative's Zen Vision, a top-notch media player - provided you have a Windows PC.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Creative's Zen Vision is a follow-up to the popular Portable Media Centre, but represents a fundamental redesign that eschews Microsoft's portable media centre design in favour of a fresh interface. Instead of relying on Windows Media Player to transfer files, the Vision ships with the Creative MediaSource and Media Explorer applications for Windows that are used to handle media and manage data on the device. Unfortunately, Mac and Linux users are still left out.
The Zen is encased in a magnesium body, which helps keep the weight to around 250 grams. The black and silver device (white is also available) measures 12 x 7.5 x 2 cm with a row of buttons on the right-hand side of screen to handle playback and navigation. The bottom panel sports USB 2.0 and docking connectors, while the left includes a CompactFlash type 1 and 2 slot for viewing or transferring media files from a CompactFlash memory card to the 30GB internal hard disk. Power and AV connectors are found next to a headphone socket on the right-hand face under a protective rubber cover. A removable, rechargeable lithium ion battery snaps onto the back and provides up to 13 hours of continuous audio or 4.5 hours of video playback, which should be enough to keep most users happy.
Creative has worked hard to roll in the functions of its other portable media players and the Vision includes a 3.7-inch colour screen running at a native resolution of 640 x 480 pixels, along with a video out connector, FM tuner, and a microphone. One extremely useful feature is the ability to synchronise data with Microsoft Outlook, so the Vision can be used as a personal organizer as well as a media player.
A wide range of video popular formats are supported, including Windows Media 9, MPEG-1, -2 and -4, motion JPEG, DivX four and five and XviD. The 262,000 colour transreflective screen performs well, and both photos and video clips are clearly visible outdoors.
Support for all common video and audio formats, coupled with a sleek, lightweight design and improved user interface help make Creative's Zen Vision, a top-notch media player.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleVIC
- TPNetwork Security OfficerVIC
- TPAndroid DeveloperSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- TPJava DeveloperSA
- CCProcess Business Analyst X 3VIC
- TPBusiness Project Manager IntegrationNSW
- CCDigital Business Analyst l SalesforceNSW
- FTTechnical Account ManagerNSW
- TPSenior|Principal SAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCProject DirectorVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTFunctional ConsultantNSW
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTSAP Business Objects ConsultantACT
- FTChange AnalystVIC
- CCSAP HR/ Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTProject Delivery Manager | PortfolioQLD
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- FTTechnical Account ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-DevOpsNSW
- TPProject Manager - Data ManagementSA