Creative Labs Zen Portable Media Center
- Excellent playback quality, simple, elegant interface
- Battery life suffers a little for video, relies on Windows Media Player 10
If you want to take your movies with you and watch them on a 3.8' widescreen, this player with its clear picture and brilliant sound, could be just what you're after.
Price$ 500.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 22 stores)
Creative Zen Portable Media Center is designed to allow you to take videos, music and images with you on the road.
The small device fits the hand well and is intuitively laid out. A navigation pad sits on the left-hand side, with play controls on the right. The entire unit weighs at 340g and measures 14.4 x 3 x 8cm, making it small and light enough to carry around all day. The 3.8" backlit screen has a 4:3 aspect ratio and runs at a native resolution of 320 x 240 pixels. By default, Zen Portable Media Center includes 20GB of storage space, which can be filled with digital music, images and video files.
The battery is designed to keep up, and in our testing it managed to kick on for 18 hours of audio playback and six hours of video. A cable is bundled so you can output the video to a television.
The device features support for just about every image and movie file type commonly used (including WMA, MP3, JPEG, ASF, DVR-MS, AVI, MPEG, MPEG2 and WAV formats) and is managed via Windows Media 10. It's possible to convert unsupported media formats into ones that will work with the player.
The Windows Media Player 10 desktop software acts as a central repository for all your media. It's straightforward and would be familiar to anybody who uses Windows XP.
Zen Portable Media Center features a glossy black cover that is prone to scratching and easily picks up fingerprints, but this is no problem if you are going to carry the device in the supplied carry case.
The device boasts excellent sound quality via the supplied earphones, which reproduce both music and video accurately.
The widescreen, clear display, and stellar sound make Zen Portable Media Center fantastic for watching movies anywhere, any time. It's a truly portable media player, but if you just wanted a music player, you could find something smaller and cheaper.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 2 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 3 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 5 TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Knox devices approved for government use by NSA
- Apple's Yosemite OS shares Spotlight search terms by default
- First products from Apple-IBM deal to come next month
- Smartsheet, the project management tool cloaked as a spreadseet, adds visualization
- Telstra misled customers on smartphone warranties: ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW