Creative Labs Zen Micro
- Neat design, simple to operate
- Battery drains quickly
The Creative's extra capacity, great styling and price tag make it an attractive option.
Price$ 285.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Previous Zen digital audio players from Creative have proved it isn't afraid to take on Apple at its own game. Now, with the Creative Zen Micro, it's going head-to-head with the iPod mini and iPod nano.
In terms of the design, Creative has certainly got it right: the Zen Micro's smooth lines and curves, neat touchpad and attractive blue backlit LED screen, buttons and edges put it on a par with its rival. Available in ten different colours--twice as many as the iPod mini--it also betters Apple's mini for storage capacity (up to 6GB, compared to the iPod mini's 4GB). The Zen Micro also includes a built-in FM radio and in-the-box extras like titanium earbuds with wired remote control, plus a cradle with belt clip and stand.
The Zen Micro is an excellent audio player. It's very simple to operate, with a vertical scrolling touchpad that has adjustable sensitivity levels. It's a bit like using a scroll wheel mouse. And the context menu button works in a similar way to a right-button mouse-click in Windows. Press it at any time for a dedicated menu, customised with options that apply directly to whichever function you're currently using. It's a neat touch that saves a lot of to-ing and fro-ing through menus.
The claimed battery life is 12 hours, but we found it drained far quicker, even when it had been left to recharge overnight. Batteries are interchangeable, though, so you can simply slip in a new cell when the current one runs out of juice. And music isn't the Zen Micro's only talent. If you want to use the device as a removable disk drive, you can allot up to 2GB of the available space to storing data files.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- FTEnterprise Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCChange ManagerACT
- CCProject Analyst/ CoordinatorVIC
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCRelease and Deployment ManagerACT
- CCSalesforce Technical Business AnalystNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC