Creative Labs TravelSound PoPz
- Compact design, reasonable sound quality
- Not loud enough
The Creative Labs TravelSound PoPz is inexpensive and has reasonable sound quality but it's hampered by a low volume output.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
The Creative Labs TravelSound PoPz is a funky portable speaker system designed to accompany your music player while not taking up much space.
Inconspicuous and compact, the PoPz look mores like a small pouch than a speaker system. When opened, the interior is dominated by two white stereo speakers and a single 3.5mm stereo jack.
We tested the speakers with a wide range of music and found the sound quality to be good, but not excellent. Bass was lacking and there was some muting in the high treble registers. Mid-tones were quite good, but there was a little lack of definition there too.
Considering the price and size of these speakers, these results were expected. As far as audio quality goes, the TravelSound PoPz is on par with the majority of portable speaker systems that we have reviewed. We did find its maximum volume output to be weak.
The Creative PoPz is a passive speaker system and as such doesn't require batteries to run. While not having to continually replace batteries may be a good thing, the trade-off is that the speakers can't amplify the audio signal they are receiving. At the maximum volume level on our MP3 player, a conversation between a small group of people easily drowned out the speakers. Trying to use these speakers outdoors, in areas with even moderate ambient noise, would be fruitless.
There isn't much else that can be said about the PoPz. While it's an inexpensive speaker system and produces reasonable sound quality, the low volume output limits its usefulness.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCL3 - Network Design and Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCIBM MDM SpecialistVIC