Creative Labs Muvo V200
- Voice/FM radio recorder, easy to use, full range of play options
- Radio autoscan unreliable
The MuVo V200 is a small, lightweight MP3 player that offers a much more controllable alternative to the shuffle. It doesn't come with a lot of support, but it's easy to use.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Creative's latest update to its MuVo range of players should provide a fitting riposte to the fuss Apple has made about its iPod Shuffle. Like the Shuffle, the MuVo V200 is light, white and perfectly formed, but there's a little bit more to it than that.
For one thing, Creative has held on to the display--a small but important design detail that gives users access to the MuVo's various facilities. These include a variety of play settings--a clear advantage to anyone who wants to choose what they listen to rather than leave themselves at the mercy of their entire music collection, as is the case with the iPod Shuffle.
The V200 also uses standard AAA batteries, so finding a replacement anywhere in the world shouldn't prove a problem. The downside is that the batteries must be constantly replaced.
It's worth noting that Creative's software doesn't seem to allow you to import playlists to the MuVo--dragging and dropping files in Windows Explorer is the only way to move music across.
Although Creative internationally sells a range of sizes and prices, from 128MB to 1GB, only the 128MB model was available in Australia at the time of writing. There's about four hours' worth of music storage for each 128MB, and value for money increases with the capacity.
The V200 includes a voice recorder and FM radio--both natural additions for an ultra-portable audio device. We found the radio's autoscan function a bit hit-and-miss, though--on successive scans it found 10, 11 then 24 stations, and Radio 4 only turned up in the last attempt. It is easier to tune it by hand. On the plus side, you can record from the radio.
This last task was easy enough, as it used the MuVo's simple and intuitive slide-and-push jogdial, which also accesses the device's menu system. It doesn't take long to set up, which is lucky as all that Creative provides to help users is a 'quick start' guide. Should they need more direction, the Creative Web site has in-depth guides.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCApplication Test AnalystACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCTechnical System Engineer (Linux/Mobile/SQL)160524/TSE/vmtAsia
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCData and Business AnalystACT
- CCChange Manager- ProcurementNSW
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCDeployment Engineer / IT AuditorQLD
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW