Creative Labs Live! Ultra for Notebooks
- 76º camera angle; Compact yet highly durable construction.
- Inaccuracy of “Face tracking” feature, Software needs a few refinements.
The Creative Ultra! Live for Notebooks is a well-built, durable webcam aimed at style-conscious laptop users. However, we look forward to future, more refined releases of the Creative software.
Price$ 169.95 (AUD)
The Creative Live! Ultra for Notebooks holds a lot of potential, boasting excellent construction, portable design, adequate 'extras', and two unique features - a wide 76º camera angle, and 'face tracking' technology. However, this little webcam just needs a few small refinements to make it a five star product.
The Live! Ultra for Notebooks is equipped with a 640x480 pixel CCD sensor, allowing for high quality imaging in a range of lighting conditions. Owing to its USB2 capabilities, video may be captured at up to 30fps at the CCD's maximum resolution easily providing for broadband videoconferences. Still shots may be taken at up to 1280x960 through software enhancement. Of course, these specs are complemented by the impressive 76º camera-angle, which capably captures a standard-sized room in luscious detail.
Physical construction is similarly comprehensive - a solid clip attaches the camera to an LCD screen (or anything under approximately 13mm), and the lens rotates firmly through 180º, allowing easy repositioning without the fear of being broken. A boom-based microphone headset is also included. The Live! Ultra for Notebooks was built with an on-the-go user in mind, yet - just in case this wasn't enough - a soft draw-string bag is provided for safe storage of this impressive little unit and its headset.
The software bundle includes ArcSoft video and image editing/compilation programs, webcam drivers and Creative's "Webcam Center" (sic). The Creative software offers a complete set of features, such as remote monitoring (via FTP or saving appropriate files to disk), time-lapse recording and motion detection. Overall, these work effectively and as expected, despite occasional instability and a few unintuitive workings. Finally, the camera drivers tie cleanly into popular instant messaging programs, with its advanced options available from within the IM.
We were was keen to try the 'face tracking' feature - quite a selling point in our opinion. However, we were disappointed to find it appears to have a mind of its own and was intent on broadcasting a close-up of the ceiling lights. The documentation promises a solution through careful adjustment of settings, however the latest software update (available online) has curiously removed menu-access to this feature (as well as the still-image editing capabilities). Ultimately, the software is quite capable and feature-filled; simply not quite as refined as some available alternatives.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- CCJunior Data ArchitectACT
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW
- CCBI Technical LeadACT
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCProject Scheduler-Port MacquarieQLD