Creative Labs Live! Ultra
- CCD Sensor, wide view angle, simple setup and use, can operate at 640 x 480 @ 30fps
- Expensive, resource intensive software, limited features in included software
An easy to use and capable webcam, although slightly expensive.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
The Live! Ultra is one of the higher end webcams available from Creative's line of video products. It intends to provide ease of use and quality video broadcasting over instant messaging as well as other internet protocols. The included software also enables some security usage, including delayed video recording, motion tracking and movement detection.
The design of the Live! Ultra is quite traditional in terms of webcams, with a focus knob surrounding the lens system and a rotational head. The included stand is advertised to allow the cam to clip onto any monitor or sit on any flat surface. We found the clip style stand to work very well with laptop screens and LCD screens, although it was slightly unstable when sitting on top of a CRT monitor or on a flat surface.
The camera plugs into any USB port, providing support for both the USB 2.0 and 1.1 standards. After plugging the device in, the driver setup CD took over the installation procedure. The installation is a streamlined process, which requires minimal user interaction; we were up and running in no time. The included software provides some useful functions, although we have had better experiences with free and open source web camera software. The main application of use, Creative's WebCam Centre, allows users to record captures (video and stills), remote monitoring, motion detection and time lapse video recording. Remote monitoring is by far the most interesting of these features, allowing users to transmit a sequence of still images to an FTP site of their choice. It is slightly disappointing that video footage cannot be streamed in this feature, although the time interval for the images can be set as low as 1 second per shot.
The internals of the camera are based around a 640x480 CCD video sensor. Capable of recording 640x480 video at 30 frames per second, the Live! Ultra provides the benchmark for video capture resolution. Image quality varies with the ambient lighting, and at its best provides clear video which suffers with grainy image. The software auto adjusts the image qualities to suit the environment, although under low light or night light we found the camera's performance drops dramatically, offering barely distinguishable images. One impressive and unique feature found in the Live! Ultra is the 76 degree wide viewing angle, allowing a greater viewing area to be recorded.
Within Windows, the only supported operating system for this device, the camera appears as a VFW (Video for Windows) capture device. This enables any video enabled software to utilize the Live! Ultra, and we confirmed this to work with many instant messaging softwares including MSN, Yahoo! Messenger and AIM. In all, Creative's Live! Ultra is a very easy to use device, but we recommend users 'Google' some better software if they intend on capturing video or streaming video to a web server.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Facebook launches tool for capturing 360 video inside VR
- Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro finally adds 4K video support for local files
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTService Delivery AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - NV1ACT
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCDocument ControllerNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Mobile ApplicationsQLD
- TPAgile Project Manager. Lean ProductivityNSW
- CCData Warehouse SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- FTIT Test ManagerNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTApplication Services AdministratorNSW
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- FTProject Engineer - Data & IP NetworksNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW