Creative Labs i-Trigue L3800
- Looks great, Excellent subwoofer, Remote control, Compatibility with Creative audio devices
- Lacking in mid range
An excellent option for those with a Zen audio device, these speakers produce impressive sound in the upper and lower ranges, although they are somewhat lacking in the middle frequencies.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
The Creative i-Trigue L3800 combines a great sounding subwoofer with clear satellites, resulting in an impressive 2.1 speaker system. We did notice a lack of power in some mid-range tones, but other than that the sound was extremely pleasing. If you own a Creative Zen audio device these speakers are even more enticing, as they can double as a home stereo replacement due to the ability to control the functions of your Zen through the remote.
The newest addition to the i-Trigue range, the L3800 packs a serious punch. The subwoofer provides great bass as Creative has found a good balance by producing ground shaking rumbles while still keeping the sound punchy and accurate. We were particularly impressed with the depth achieved by this sub, as it has the ability to generate some very low frequencies without a loss of clarity.
The satellites speakers produced impressive results, achieving excellent clarity and separation of instruments in the upper registers. The bright sound of the satellites, however, contrasted with the depth of the subwoofer, left a noticeable gap in the middle range frequencies. The lack of mid range deliverance is disappointing as the speakers felt rather imbalanced given the excellent bass and treble reproduction.
Constructed from a combination of aluminium and wood, the stylish design is typical of Creative's i-Trigue family. The satellite speakers feature two NeoTitanium micro drivers and a mid tone driver, with the latter firing laterally as opposed to straight ahead. Creative believe this produces a more balanced sound, but as mentioned, we found the lack of balance to be the only issue with these speakers.
The i-Trigue's all come with a wired, external control unit similar to a small AV receiver, and a remote control which is especially handy for those who own a Creative portable digital media player. The remote includes the key functions of Creative's line of Zen players and can interface with them, so you simply connect your device with the standard 3.5mm jack and can then control it via the remote. The control unit houses a volume and bass adjustment as well as a headphone jack.
The speakers are easy to set up as wires are colour coded, with each wire having a different connection, meaning you simply cannot connect a wire to the wrong socket. The wires are also of reasonable length meaning almost any speaker configuration is catered for. Also included in the box is a dual RCA to stereo adaptor for gaming.
With the inclusion of Zen controls on the remote, this is a very attractive package for anyone who owns one of these players. If you don't own a Zen, and want speakers for a PC or other audio device, these still have great merit as the bass emitted from the subwoofer and the upper range of the satellites are excellent.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours
- Intel's mobile future is in blazing modems as it buries Atom failure
- PC prices will continue to go up due to shortage of components
- Radeon Vega vs. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti? AMD, Nvidia announce dueling events at GDC 2017
- Toshiba's in chaos, but not quitting PCs -- yet
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCUI UX AnalystWA
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCSenior Life 400 DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW