Creative Labs HN-700 Noise Cancelling
- Attractive design, Good mid-tones
- Uncomfortable, Noise cancelling feature doesn’t work well, Sound leakage, Muddy bass, Truncated treble.
The HM-700 headphones don’t perform as well as other noise cancelling headphones on the market and when coupled with a lack of comfort and sound quality, they aren’t very highly recommended.
Price$ 799.95 (AUD)
Creative have been the leaders in PC sound cards for many years and as such you would imagine they would know a thing or two about sound. Therefore when we unpacked the HM-700 noise cancelling headphones we were expecting quite a lot. Unfortunately, these headphones didn't live up to our expectations despite, for the most part, performing well enough for the average consumer.
First of all, the noise cancelling feature didn't really cancel all that much noise. They seemed to remove a little ambient sound but at the cost of very tight suction against the ear, so much so that prolonged use resulted in quite painful migraines . Despite the incredible suction, the headphones still leaked quite a bit of sound, even at midrange volumes, which noise cancelling headphones are meant to prevent.
The headphones themselves sound good although the bass does tend to get muddy at higher volumes with higher treble tones sounding a little truncated. The HM-700 does really well in the mid-tones though, and should be more than sufficient for most audio consumers.
The design of the headphones is rather good with a lustrous aesthetic. They have leather moldings on the top of the headband and around the cups and the unit folds in half via a hinge in the top of the headband, for easy storage.
The noise cancelling feature requires two AAA sized batteries for power but when we tested them a brand new set of Duracell's only lasted about 5 hours. Considering the price of batteries this is woefully inadequate, and even though many people will probably opt to purchase rechargeable, it is an added expense that you should be aware of.
These headphones aren't as good as you would expect from Creative. They tended to be quite uncomfortable and didn't perform as advertised. When you consider other headphones on the market at this price point, you quickly come to realize that the HM-700 are insanely overpriced and not even partially worth their exuberant price tag. Also, the number one purpose of a set of noise cancelling headphones should be to cancel noise and the Creative HM-700 just didn't cut the mustard.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- FTITIL Service ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA