Creative Labs Aurvana Live!
- Rich sound, relatively well balanced
- Slow sound may annoy some
A high quality pair of headphones from Creative, the Aurvana Live! sounds impressive and are comfortable, making them a good choice for users looking to spend a little more.
Price$ 169.96 (AUD)
The headphone market has recently been jumped upon by a slue of vendors eager to capitalise on the iPod-generation's new-found love of portable audio. Creative is one such manufacturer, bringing to market an impressive line-up of headphones to complement its Zen range of multimedia players. The Aurvana Live! headphones are towards the top of this range which provide a good solution for all-purpose listening at a relatively affordable cost.
At this price point the Aurvana Live! headphones sit comfortably towards the top of the range of units you'll find in many standard stores, although they in no way compare to some higher end products from companies like Beyer, Sennheiser or Shure. They produce fairly impressive audio that will satisfy all but the most discerning consumer.
The overall sound is fairly balanced. The mid-range is prominent with a slightly forwards presentation but it isn't strong enough to dominate the rest of the range. It is a little gritty but quite revealing, meaning that your heavily compressed music will likely sound a little distorted at times.
Meanwhile, the bass doesn't extend as deeply as on some other units we've listened to, but it is adequate for most musical styles. You may notice a slight lack of punch if you're a heavy dance listener for example, but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue. The overall sound is very slow, meaning notes take a while to decay. This lends a very rich sound, particularly to the bass and mid ranges.
Treble notes are the least remarkable of the bunch although they still sound fine and have some of the same rich tone of the others. Overall detail and clarity is quite impressive and the soundstage, while not incredible, is adequately encompassing.
Design wise the Aurvana Live! headphones are fairly standard. They have pleather cups that are small but still fully shroud the ears. The headband is similarly padded and while it is still a little flimsy it is sturdier than some competing units, and offers the ability to extend and retract the cups to fit different head sizes. Sporting a simple black and silver colour scheme they are relatively stylish but quite simple looking headphones.
Despite not being defined as noise-cancelling, the Aurvana Live! does a pretty good job of blocking out external sound. Their enclosed cups kept things nice and quiet in a basic office environment and sound leakage to those around was fairly minimal. They are also quite comfortable, meaning long listening sessions aren't a problem.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPData AnalystWA
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCTest ManagerWA
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- CCTest Analysts - MainframeACT
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW