Creative Vado HD pocket camcorder
The Creative Vado HD pocket video camera's slim rectangular design very closely resembles an Apple iPod
- 8GB of storage, HDMI output
- A/V cable is an optional extra, screen could be brighter
We really liked the Creative Vado HD camcorder’s design, especially the tactile silicon rubber body armour that prevents butterfingers. We were also pleased to find an HDMI output for which the associated cable is supplied, and the option to shoot in standard as well as high definition.
Price$ 363.59 (AUD)
User-friendliness is provided in the shape of an unfussy control layout with large clearly marked buttons, though its slender dimensions mean that there is no optical zoom with the Creative Vado HD, just the ‘cheat' of a 2x digital zoom which crops the image to appear as though you have zoomed. That said, its transition is commendably smooth.
The Creative Vado HD offers a resolution of 1280x720 pixels rather than the more desirable Full HD 1920x1080 pixels, but its 8GB internal storage space allows for up to two hours of footage — more than most of us would want to sit through.
Curiously, while an HDMI cable is included for hooking it up to a latest generation TV set, a regular A/V cable is an optional extra. The Creative Vado HD is powered by a lithium ion battery that slips under the removable front cover and offers two hours of shooting per charge.
Held upright in the palm the Creative Vado HD feels extremely lightweight, with an attractively tactile rubberised surface preventing accidental slippage in lieu of anything resembling a traditional camera grip.
Usefully, the lens at the front of the Creative Vado HD is situated at the very top of the body to prevent fingertips from straying into shot. A USB connection ‘arm' is provided at the base with a rubber tab sticking out via which to extricate it and connect the camera itself to your laptop (a longer extension USB lead is also provided).
Although this is a neat solution, it's a less successful incorporation of a USB lead than the Flip Video MinoHD. Still, it works in the same way: slot the Vado's USB arm into an available port and it appears on your desktop as an external drive.
Although highlight detail tends to burn out, the image provided by the Creative Vado HD's 2in rear compositional screen is sufficiently large for most circumstances. However, we have preferred it to have been a little brighter when shooting interiors.
An onscreen menu lets you switch between HD quality video and standard definition, should storage capacity be an issue. The sound quality of the built-in speaker, although adjustable in volume, is poor. For the more ambitious, you also get a screw thread at the base should you wish to attach a tripod.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
- Netflix loosens up streaming video, letting users choose their cellular speed limit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical Specialist EmailACT
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCCloud Service Solution LeadVIC
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW