- Great value, powerful bass performance
- Treble tends to be flat in highest frequencies, slightly irritating placement of some controls
The Creative A300 2.1 speaker system is first and foremost a great value product. It's not perfect by any means, but is well suited to a variety of casual uses.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Creative's A300 is a 2.1 speaker system designed primarily for use with computers and MP3 players. Coming at a very affordable price, and delivering relatively good quality, they're great value, and perfectly suited to use with the home PC or for the kids. They're by no means high-end audio products, and do suffer from a slightly limited frequency response and very minor amounts of distortion; however, they also deliver excellent bass performance and impressive volume levels, and should be more than adequate for most uses around the home.
Bass is definitely the most impressive aspect of the A300's sound, with the included sub being capable of outputting some very impressive amounts of rumble. Although very fast, punchy bass does tend to become slightly muddy at times, overall the speakers handle most bass lines and drumbeats very well. Treble isn't quite as well represented, however, and flattens off at the very highest frequencies. Nevertheless, on the whole, audio is relatively clear, with minor distortion becoming apparent only at higher volumes.
The speakers have quite a powerful volume output, and we were certainly able to reach a comfortable listening volume for our own tastes without hitting the maximum. As mentioned before, the sub is capable of some really impressive amounts of power, and we had the walls and desks shaking in our office in no time with some bass-heavy tracks.
The system as a whole has an attractive design, with a black finish. The right-hand speaker has the volume knob on the side, while a bass knob is located on the back of the subwoofer. This can be slightly irritating when the sub is placed under a desk, but ultimately it's not a huge deal. With a relatively versatile functionality, being able to be used for MP3 players, speakers, and even home entertainment in a pinch, the simplistic design also ensures that the A300s should fit in anywhere.
Overall, while they're certainly nothing revolutionary, Creative has managed to create a relatively good 2.1 speaker system in the A300, with excellent bass performance and a low RRP. A great choice for those looking for a good mix of quality and affordability, the versatility of the speakers generally makes them great value for most users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCSenior Business Process Analyst, FinanceNSW
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA
- CCOSS/BSS Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSAP Payroll Implement/Migration Project Manager/ SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC