Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12
New tools speed creation of precise drawings, but Photo-Paint has barely changed.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
With version 12, Corel's venerable CorelDraw Graphics Suite hasn't undergone a sweeping makeover. In fact, most significant tweaks are focused on one goal: speeding the creation of precise drawings in the namesake CorelDraw illustration program. The suite remains a good bet for business and technical users who want lots of graphics tools at an attractive price, and its improvements will please many existing CorelDraw fans. But those seeking meaty new features, especially in the Photo-Paint image editor, may be disappointed.
Among CorelDraw's useful precision-oriented enhancements are Dynamic Guides, similar to Smart Guides in Adobe's Illustrator CS: Drag a drawing object around the page, and the guides pop up to show you the object's distance and angle in relation to other items on the page. The new Smart Drawing tool lets you doodle an approximation of a square or another shape, then turns it into a tidy geometric form. Existing tools like object snapping, text alignment, and file importing and exporting now work more precisely.
As for the suite's other applications, R.A.V.E., the Flash-compatible Web animation program, shares many of CorelDraw's enhancements. But Photo-Paint has only one important addition: a handy Touch-up Brush tool for erasing minor blemishes.
Both CorelDraw and Photo-Paint still lack some slick features available in the latest versions of their Adobe rivals, which are more squarely aimed at professionals; examples are the 3D tools of Illustrator CS and the shadow/highlight correction tool of Photoshop CS. Then again, the $399 Corel suite is more aggressively priced: You get CorelDraw, R.A.V.E., and Photo-Paint for $100 less than Adobe Illustrator alone.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDigital Business AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/Oracle) 160617/AP/025Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCSAP Business Analyst - FinanceNSW
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- CCDevOps /Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- FTProject Coordinator / AdministratorNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Support - ImplementationsVIC
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC