Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12
New tools speed creation of precise drawings, but Photo-Paint has barely changed.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
With version 12, Corel's venerable CorelDraw Graphics Suite hasn't undergone a sweeping makeover. In fact, most significant tweaks are focused on one goal: speeding the creation of precise drawings in the namesake CorelDraw illustration program. The suite remains a good bet for business and technical users who want lots of graphics tools at an attractive price, and its improvements will please many existing CorelDraw fans. But those seeking meaty new features, especially in the Photo-Paint image editor, may be disappointed.
Among CorelDraw's useful precision-oriented enhancements are Dynamic Guides, similar to Smart Guides in Adobe's Illustrator CS: Drag a drawing object around the page, and the guides pop up to show you the object's distance and angle in relation to other items on the page. The new Smart Drawing tool lets you doodle an approximation of a square or another shape, then turns it into a tidy geometric form. Existing tools like object snapping, text alignment, and file importing and exporting now work more precisely.
As for the suite's other applications, R.A.V.E., the Flash-compatible Web animation program, shares many of CorelDraw's enhancements. But Photo-Paint has only one important addition: a handy Touch-up Brush tool for erasing minor blemishes.
Both CorelDraw and Photo-Paint still lack some slick features available in the latest versions of their Adobe rivals, which are more squarely aimed at professionals; examples are the 3D tools of Illustrator CS and the shadow/highlight correction tool of Photoshop CS. Then again, the $399 Corel suite is more aggressively priced: You get CorelDraw, R.A.V.E., and Photo-Paint for $100 less than Adobe Illustrator alone.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Andromeda inbound? Google's long-rumored Android/Chrome OS merger may debut Oct 4
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW