Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12
New tools speed creation of precise drawings, but Photo-Paint has barely changed.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
With version 12, Corel's venerable CorelDraw Graphics Suite hasn't undergone a sweeping makeover. In fact, most significant tweaks are focused on one goal: speeding the creation of precise drawings in the namesake CorelDraw illustration program. The suite remains a good bet for business and technical users who want lots of graphics tools at an attractive price, and its improvements will please many existing CorelDraw fans. But those seeking meaty new features, especially in the Photo-Paint image editor, may be disappointed.
Among CorelDraw's useful precision-oriented enhancements are Dynamic Guides, similar to Smart Guides in Adobe's Illustrator CS: Drag a drawing object around the page, and the guides pop up to show you the object's distance and angle in relation to other items on the page. The new Smart Drawing tool lets you doodle an approximation of a square or another shape, then turns it into a tidy geometric form. Existing tools like object snapping, text alignment, and file importing and exporting now work more precisely.
As for the suite's other applications, R.A.V.E., the Flash-compatible Web animation program, shares many of CorelDraw's enhancements. But Photo-Paint has only one important addition: a handy Touch-up Brush tool for erasing minor blemishes.
Both CorelDraw and Photo-Paint still lack some slick features available in the latest versions of their Adobe rivals, which are more squarely aimed at professionals; examples are the 3D tools of Illustrator CS and the shadow/highlight correction tool of Photoshop CS. Then again, the $399 Corel suite is more aggressively priced: You get CorelDraw, R.A.V.E., and Photo-Paint for $100 less than Adobe Illustrator alone.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCTIBCO Support ConsultantsNSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCAutomation Test Engineer with Baseline clearance (or higher)VIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTData ScientistNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCDeployment CoordinatorNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW