Compro Australia VideoMate E700
- The ability to schedule a PC power-up and shut down when it's about to record or when it has recorded a program
- An MCE-style user interface would've been better
The inexpensive Compro VideoMate E700 delivers the digital AV goods with aplomb - given a decent aerial it will display good quality standard definition images. Although the comprehensively featured ComproDTV 3.0 software isn't bad, an MCE-style user interface would be more convenient for ordinary TV viewing.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Chlorine Dry 700 10kg Pail 73.32
The Compro VideoMate E700 is an ultra-compact PCI-E card (with spare blanking plate for low-profile PCs) sporting a pair of DVB-T free-to-air tuners.
This contrasts with the Compro VideoMate T750, a PCI card TV Tuner, supporting both terrestrial analogue and DVB-T standards as well as FM radio.
As a consequence, the Compro VideoMate E700 has the very useful ability to let you watch one free-to-air channel while recording another -- and then some.
The Compro VideoMate E700 is supplied with the same ComproDTV 3.0 tuning software, which can, given the right hardware, let you watch as many as six 'pictures in picture', though you'll need a top-end Core Duo to do this.
The Compro VideoMate E700 lacks, however, the S-Video and composite inputs of the Compro VideoMate T750. It also lacks support for MHEG-5, which means no interactive services are supported, which is just as well as the remote lacks the proverbial red button.
Installation is straightforward and the Compro VideoMate E700 is Windows Vista certified. As before, ComproDTV 3.0 has a veritable laundry list of features and it'll let you do the usual time-shifting, pausing and scheduled recording. Programs can be recorded to a hard disk or straight to DVD if you wish.
Once again recording formats are a bit restricted -- only MPEG-2 and Transport Stream is supported. The ComproDTV 3.0 software is highly configurable: for example you can customise and store the picture and audio settings for each TV channel. Also in the box is DVD playback and authoring software, so the Compro VideoMate E700 is well stocked with goodies.
Like the T750, the Compro VideoMate E700 can control your PC's on/off button: it has the clever ability to schedule a PC power-up and shut down in order to record a program, a big plus in our view. You can also use the supplied remote to do this.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- The Asus ROG GT51CA has a weird ROG Band wearable that unlocks a hidden hard drive
- HP wants to turn your Mac into a 44-core Windows PC
- New Ninja desktops roar with Intel's 72-core supercomputing chip
- Chipmakers share the pain as PC, tablet, and smartphone sales decline
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- CCL3 - Network Design and Support EngineerNSW
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Manual)NSW
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCICT Transformation Project Manager- University, Education bckgNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCSenior Analyst Designer / AWS and AzureVIC