CMS BounceBack Ultimate is simple-but-effective software that backs up your PC's entire contents to an external storage device
- Extremely simple
- It isn't cheap, can't transfer your bootable backup from one USB drive to another
CMS BounceBack Ultimate is simplicity itself, and does a find job of backing up entire systems. As a consequence it is easy to recommend. But it's not a cheap solution, and you'll end up with some pretty hefty backup files.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
The main benefit of CMS BounceBack Ultimate is its utter simplicity. We tested a solution that comprises an external USB hard drive with the CMS BounceBack Ultimate backup software already installed. It makes protecting your most valuable data a cinch.
On installing the CMS BounceBack Ultimate software on the PC and pointing it at the correct storage destination, you're prompted to create a full system backup. An initial 15GB total PC backup took only 28 minutes on our relatively clean and lightly used system, and we were even using the machine as it worked.
CMS BounceBack Ultimate isn't disk-imaging software — it simply grabs every file on your machine and dumps it on to your chosen backup drive. This means that you can access backed up files on any PC. It also means that you don't have to decide what to back up, or stop using your PC alone while it's being backed up. This is great, of course, but it does mean that you'll have some pretty hefty backups.
CMS BounceBack Ultimate also produces a bootable disk, so if the worst happens you can boot straight back into your system from any Windows PC. Again, a massive plus point, this time with two caveats. Number one: you can't transfer your bootable backup from one USB drive to another. Secondly, CMS BounceBack Ultimate uses 256-bit AES encryption, so you'll need CMS BounceBack Ultimate installed on any machine that you use to restore a backup. Keep your software key handy.
The CMS BounceBack Ultimate software's interface is about as simple as simple can be. Whether its big, cartoon-like buttons aesthetically please you is really a matter of taste.
After your first backup you can set it up to do regular incremental backups, or use the 'CDP' mode. Continuous Data Protection works as an on-the-fly backup that you can set up to update every minute, should you wish.
Such activity would, you'd think, kill your machine's running speed, but CMS BounceBack Ultimate uses hardware throttling to keep things running. In our informal tests we didn't notice any system slowdown.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo to integrate Amazon Alexa in Moto smartphones
- Google will start adding Assistant to Nougat and Marshmallow phones this week
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- CCAzure Architect/ConsultantVIC
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCWeb Ops EngineerACT
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTPrincipal Architect - Infrastructure | Major BankVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA