ClamWin Free Antivirus (2009)
This open-source antivirus software fails to get the job done, with disappointing malware detection and no real-time scanning
- Open-source antivirus software, right-click option to scan a specific file
- Ineffective malware detection, poor disinfection
Although running an extra on-demand scan can be good as backup for your regular antivirus application, ClamWin Free Antivirus' poor detection rate means that you are better off running an online scan from a commercial software maker, such as BitDefender or F-Secure, and avoiding this open-source project.
ClamWin Free Antivirus doesn't provide real-time protection, and it won't check files as you open them or have them written to your hard drive; its scans are on-demand only, which means they kick off when you schedule them or specifically tell the program to run one.
If its scans were effective, ClamWin Free Antivirus might have been a worthwhile pick as an extra security layer to catch files that your regular antivirus utility might have missed. Unfortunately, It missed almost half of the Trojan horses, password stealers, and other baddies in AV-Test.org's zoo of malware samples, an ignominious performance matched only by PC Tools Antivirus.
Against malware made to steal online-banking passwords, it was nearly impotent, missing more than two-thirds of such samples. In proactive tests meant to find how well a program can detect new malware, ClamWin Free Antivirus did better, nabbing roughly one-third of the samples while using two-week-old signature files (top performer Avira AntiVir Personal caught just over half). But that still wasn't a satisfactory result by any means.
Its six false positives were more than we'd expect even from free antivirus. ClamWin Free Antivirus was the second-slowest app in on-access scanning during our recent tests of antivirus products - only PC Tools Antivirus had slower scan times - and it put up the worst numbers for disinfection, detecting only six out of 10 infections and cleaning only five. In a rare shining performance, it identified all 10 active rootkits (stealth malware designed to hide other infections). In contrast, however, it did the worst job of removing those rootkits, cleaning up just four.
The app's basic interface lists your hard drives and allows for scheduling regular scans, but you'll need to schedule a separate scan for each drive. ClamWin Free Antivirus also adds a right-click Explorer option to scan a specific file, but such scans are notably slow, and by default it only reports discovered malware; to get an option to clean it, you must change the settings to quarantine or delete the file.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
- Netgear tweaks its home security camera line by introducing the Arlo Pro
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCDigital - Full Stack developer contract role - CollingwoodVIC
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD