ClamWin Free Antivirus
An open-source antivirus program
- No automatic scanning of files before you open them
ClamWin Free Antivirus is a solid free antivirus program. We wouldn't recommend that you use it as your sole method of protection, but it is well worth having as an extra level of security.
ClamWin Free Antivirus is a free, open-source antivirus program.
Dozens of antivirus programs — Symantec AntiVirus, McAfee Virus Scan, and Kaspersky AntiVirus, to name only a few — have much in common. They all work diligently to intercept the next invasion of computer malware. And annually they all wring as much money as they can out of users in exchange for their services.
You can get protection from viruses without paying a penny. Turn to ClamWin Free Antivirus, an oddly named program that adheres to the Gnu open-source model. It won't charge you anything for virus protection — not now, not a year from now.
What do you get for nothing? ClamWin Free Antivirus is a program that, in its latest version, works in Vista as well as in XP, scanning your files for the fingerprints of viruses and spyware identified by a virus database that is updated several times a day.
You may schedule or launch scans at your whim. A right-click menu choice provides more-selective scans of specific files or folders. ClamWin Free Antivirus also offers integration with Microsoft Outlook for inspecting message attachments that could be carrying dangerous code.
What don't you get? ClamWin Free Antivirus does not yet automatically inspect files as you open them. If you download the latest whiz-bang plaything from the internet, better check it with ClamWin Free Antivirus before you open it. That's not a bad trade-off for a free malware checker. Since no single antivirus tool is perfect, you should always use more than one such program anyway. Why pay for them all?
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- A critical flaw in Symantec antivirus engine puts computers at risk of easy hacking
- Malware attacks on two banks have links with 2014 Sony Pictures hack
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC