ClamWin Free Antivirus
An open-source antivirus program
- No automatic scanning of files before you open them
ClamWin Free Antivirus is a solid free antivirus program. We wouldn't recommend that you use it as your sole method of protection, but it is well worth having as an extra level of security.
ClamWin Free Antivirus is a free, open-source antivirus program.
Dozens of antivirus programs — Symantec AntiVirus, McAfee Virus Scan, and Kaspersky AntiVirus, to name only a few — have much in common. They all work diligently to intercept the next invasion of computer malware. And annually they all wring as much money as they can out of users in exchange for their services.
You can get protection from viruses without paying a penny. Turn to ClamWin Free Antivirus, an oddly named program that adheres to the Gnu open-source model. It won't charge you anything for virus protection — not now, not a year from now.
What do you get for nothing? ClamWin Free Antivirus is a program that, in its latest version, works in Vista as well as in XP, scanning your files for the fingerprints of viruses and spyware identified by a virus database that is updated several times a day.
You may schedule or launch scans at your whim. A right-click menu choice provides more-selective scans of specific files or folders. ClamWin Free Antivirus also offers integration with Microsoft Outlook for inspecting message attachments that could be carrying dangerous code.
What don't you get? ClamWin Free Antivirus does not yet automatically inspect files as you open them. If you download the latest whiz-bang plaything from the internet, better check it with ClamWin Free Antivirus before you open it. That's not a bad trade-off for a free malware checker. Since no single antivirus tool is perfect, you should always use more than one such program anyway. Why pay for them all?
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Australians targeted by Windows 10 phishing attacks
- How a burglar can make a copy of your door key, from a Facebook picture
- Vulnerability found in Samsung smartphone keyboard
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager - General InsuranceNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- CCFull-stack Software EngineerNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectWA
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- FTTeam and Project AdministratorQLD
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTSenior System/Network EngineerACT
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net Solutions DeveloperSA
- CCApplication Developer - FileNetQLD
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- CCLead SAP SRM DeveloperACT
- CCData AnalystNSW