Flip SlideHD camcorder
The Flip SlideHD handheld video camera sacrifices its pocket-friendly size for features that include touchscreen navigation, increased storage and video-viewing capabilities
- Touchscreen controls
- Not as pocket-friendly as other Flips
The Flip SlideHD brings new video-watching and recording features that are a step above other handheld video cameras such as Creative Technology's Vado and Kodak's Zi line. Hopefully, like other Flips, this device will shrink over time to fit into the pocket. The SlideHD is priced at US$279.99 in the US.
For years, Pure Digital Technologies, which was acquired by Cisco in 2009, has continuously shrunk Flip video cameras while increasing the screen size and storage. But with the Flip SlideHD, Cisco and Pure Digital is taking a step back, increasing the device's size, but also adding new features that make it easier to share and view video.
The Flip SlideHD video camera has a 3-inch touchscreen that replaces the physical control buttons found on other Flip cameras like the Flip Video Mino. The camera is broken up into two panels, with one that pops up the screen in a slanting position to navigate and watch videos stored on the device. The screen orients to widescreen format once it is slanted.
The lower panel acts as a base to secure the screen. It also includes a small scroll pad to help quickly navigate through the videos. However, users scroll through individual videos once at a time, which could become an issue if the device holds many videos.
Video can be shot by placing the Flip SlideHD back into its normal position. Simply press the red record button on the touchscreen, and recording starts. The screen previews the images being recorded.
The touchscreen interface provides a more intuitive way to shoot video than earlier Flip video cameras with clunky buttons. The Flip SlideHD shot 720p high-definition video and captured the hues and colors of trees in New York's Central Park well. It also took excellent video in low-light conditions. The video camera can shoot and play back video at 30 frames per second.
The device in essence is a portable media player with sophisticated video-shooting capabilities. It can record up to four hours of high-definition video, or store up to 12 hours of content, according to Cisco. The device comes with 16GB of storage. It can run for two hours on a single battery charge.
The Flip SlideHD can be charged by plugging the device into a PC's USB port. Plugging the device also launches the FlipShare software, which allows users to share video on sites like Facebook, MySpace and YouTube with a single mouse click. The device works with PCs and Macs.
But the Flip SlideHD is too big and heavy to place in a pocket, primarily because of the SlideHD's slide-up panel. A lot of Flip's reputation lies on making pocket-friendly devices, so this could be a cause of concern.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- TPTechnical WriterVIC
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW