Flip SlideHD camcorder
The Flip SlideHD handheld video camera sacrifices its pocket-friendly size for features that include touchscreen navigation, increased storage and video-viewing capabilities
- Touchscreen controls
- Not as pocket-friendly as other Flips
The Flip SlideHD brings new video-watching and recording features that are a step above other handheld video cameras such as Creative Technology's Vado and Kodak's Zi line. Hopefully, like other Flips, this device will shrink over time to fit into the pocket. The SlideHD is priced at US$279.99 in the US.
For years, Pure Digital Technologies, which was acquired by Cisco in 2009, has continuously shrunk Flip video cameras while increasing the screen size and storage. But with the Flip SlideHD, Cisco and Pure Digital is taking a step back, increasing the device's size, but also adding new features that make it easier to share and view video.
The Flip SlideHD video camera has a 3-inch touchscreen that replaces the physical control buttons found on other Flip cameras like the Flip Video Mino. The camera is broken up into two panels, with one that pops up the screen in a slanting position to navigate and watch videos stored on the device. The screen orients to widescreen format once it is slanted.
The lower panel acts as a base to secure the screen. It also includes a small scroll pad to help quickly navigate through the videos. However, users scroll through individual videos once at a time, which could become an issue if the device holds many videos.
Video can be shot by placing the Flip SlideHD back into its normal position. Simply press the red record button on the touchscreen, and recording starts. The screen previews the images being recorded.
The touchscreen interface provides a more intuitive way to shoot video than earlier Flip video cameras with clunky buttons. The Flip SlideHD shot 720p high-definition video and captured the hues and colors of trees in New York's Central Park well. It also took excellent video in low-light conditions. The video camera can shoot and play back video at 30 frames per second.
The device in essence is a portable media player with sophisticated video-shooting capabilities. It can record up to four hours of high-definition video, or store up to 12 hours of content, according to Cisco. The device comes with 16GB of storage. It can run for two hours on a single battery charge.
The Flip SlideHD can be charged by plugging the device into a PC's USB port. Plugging the device also launches the FlipShare software, which allows users to share video on sites like Facebook, MySpace and YouTube with a single mouse click. The device works with PCs and Macs.
But the Flip SlideHD is too big and heavy to place in a pocket, primarily because of the SlideHD's slide-up panel. A lot of Flip's reputation lies on making pocket-friendly devices, so this could be a cause of concern.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Facebook launches tool for capturing 360 video inside VR
- Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro finally adds 4K video support for local files
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst (BI Focus)WA
- CCUser ResearchNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Digital Business Analyst, AGILE, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- TPOffice 365 Deployment SupportQLD
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)ACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Foreign CurrencyVIC
- FTAsst. Director - Claim Analysis. Work Location - CanberraACT
- FTOracle E-Business Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTTester AnalystACT
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- FTOracle Database Administrator (DBA)SA
- TPSolution ArchitectVIC
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTProgram L&D Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- FTTelecommunications Installation ManagerSA
- FTSenior Agile Test AnalystNSW