Check Point Software Technologies ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
- Kaspersky antivirus engine for malware detection and removal, excellent installation wizard
- Lacks extensive scan options; doesn't scan e-mail traffic or instant messaging communications for malware; no Web antiphishing feature
The firewall itself is extensive and would be a good purchase in its own right. As a complete suite, though, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite is full of holes.
Price$ 80.00 (AUD)
Unlike most other security suites (whose origins tend to be in the antivirus market), CheckPoint's ZoneAlarm started out as a firewall and expanded from there. And it shows.
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite has a feature-rich firewall, to which it has added the impressive Kaspersky antivirus engine for malware detection and removal.
Unfortunately, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite lacks the extensive scan options and the smooth interface of Kaspersky's own software. In addition, the antivirus and anti-spyware interface has only bare-bones configuration options.
To be fair to ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, it's still struggling with Vista compatibility. Working under Microsoft's latest OS, the ZoneAlarm antivirus scanner doesn't scan e-mail traffic or instant messaging communications for malware.
CheckPoint claims this is by design, but we can't see the benefit of refraining from scanning e-mail traffic. The Vista ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite also loses the parental controls available in the XP version, as well as protection for sensitive data and blocking of known spyware Web sites. The suite lacks a Web antiphishing feature in both its XP and Vista versions.
For the firewall, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite offers the most features and options of pretty much any suite available. It comes with an excellent installation wizard, and a training mode automatically bumps up to maximum protection after learning about your programs.
Even at its "maximum protect" setting, the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite firewall will check against a central database of known programs before bugging you to decide whether a new program can connect to the Internet.
There were problems in testing though, and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite didn't entirely protect our sample PC from an outside scan. Neither did it entirely hide the closed channels. According to AV-Test.org, the XP version doesn't exhibit this problem.
Backed up by Kaspersky's engine, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite's malware detection rate was high -- around 96 per cent -- but it did lag on scan speed. Indeed, at just 3.62 megabytes per second (MBps), it produced one of the slowest test times of any package.
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite's options and interface for antivirus scanning are anaemic. You can't decide whether to scan within archives for a user-started scan or for an automatic, on-access scan. You can't decide much of anything else, either.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
- Netgear tweaks its home security camera line by introducing the Arlo Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystQLD
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC