Changhong CHL1555B LCD television
The Changhong CHL1555B is the one of the cheapest all-in-one televisions we've seen
- HDMI input, 16:9 aspect ratio, high resolution
- Only 500:1 contrast, poor vertical viewing angles
The Changhong LT1599DV LCD television is a good choice for a child's bedroom or a cramped study. Its small size and light weight mean it is not hard to carry around, while the integrated DVD player, HDMI port and high resolution screen makes it versatile enough for a range of uses.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The Changhong CHL1555B is a 15in LCD television with an integrated DVD player. Its 16:9 aspect ratio means it's good for watching DVDs on, while the HDMI port and 1366x768 are an appropriate combination for connecting a high-definition games console for the kids.
Like the Teac LCD228HDM and the Kogan PRO-22, the Changhhong CHL1555B has a simple and Spartan design, but it doesn't look excessively ugly (we're thinking of you, Tyagi 3788). The buttons are arranged in a row on the top of the unit; the on-screen menu they operate is identical to the Teac LCD228HDM's and several other cheap small-screen LCD televisions. The remote is, again, not exactly a work of art, but it gets the job done.
We were slightly surprised but pleased to see an HDMI port on the rear of the Changhong CHL1555B — VGA, component, S-Video and composite are also available. The 1366x768 resolution means that, when set up via HDMI, the screen becomes quite a versatile little device; we did the majority of our testing on a Sony PlayStation 3 and a Microsoft Xbox 360.
The inbuilt DVD player is rather loud — especially when starting the television up — and menu navigation is slow and clunky, but once playback started we didn't notice any jumpiness or image errors. A USB port and SD card slot allow a small range of media files to be played back — we had success with JPEG image files, MP3 and WAV audio, but not video.
Picture quality is okay given the small screen size. The screen isn't the sharpest or most vibrant, but its 1366x768 resolution allows it to display a lot of detail — you'll need to get up close to see the best of it due to the small panel size.
The Changhong CHL1555B's 500:1 contrast ratio is very low, but casual watchers will find it acceptable for DVD and digital television. It suffers with darker Blu-ray video like The Dark Knight and video games, but it's enough to get by. You'll need to sit front and centre to see the screen clearly, though, as a narrow vertical and horizontal viewing angles mean the image loses contrast and clarity quickly as you move off-axis.
The Changhong CHL1555B is cheap and small — making it a good addition to the household if you've got a spare spot in your study or a child constantly hogging your big screen. Picture quality isn't excellent but as long as you're not watching it 24/7, it will be satisfactory.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTPMO - Master SchedulerVIC
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTInformation Security ManagerACT
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - FrontendNSW
- TPProject Support AnalystNSW
- TPBI Report Developer - SSRS SSIS SSASNSW
- TPPMO Lead - Large Government Dept - 12 Month ContractQLD
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global Ecommerce BrandNSW
- CCSystems AdminNSW
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- CCSystems AdministratorNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTApplication Services AdministratorNSW
- FTDelivery ExecutiveSA
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- FTDeveloper / Junior Solution DesignerQLD