A 15cm eBook reader
- Incredibly easy to use, menu is straightforward, comes with 21 books on it already, built-in music player
- Loading times are a little slow, expensive
The ECO Reader has very few weak points to it. Although pricey, we think its worth having a look at if you’re in the market for an eBook reader. It has an understated classy feel to it and is a great buy for a book lover.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The Eco Reader is an eBook reader similar to the Amazon Kindle, but without as many features.
Looking for the best eBook reader? Before you buy an Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad or Sony Reader check out our eBook reader comparison guide to find out the best features you should compare.
It lacks the white finish of the Kindle; instead, it looks like a leather-bound personal organiser. As far as looks are concerned, the Eco Reader has side-stepped the whole 'young and cool' thing and opted for 'conservative and smart'. And what could be smarter than a book with no pages? Home-delivered hot dogs? Perhaps. It's pretty obvious why eBooks are a great invention: you can carry around your entire library on one single device (assuming all your favourite books are available in electronic format), no crumpled pages and you’re sort of saving the planet. Well, sort of.
The Eco Reader has a 15cm screen with a 600x800-pixel resolution and uses e-ink technology to display the text. It can display four shades of grey. No matter what angle you look at the screen from you can see the text clearly.
The screen isn’t backlit, so just like a real book you can’t read it in the dark. This is because the ECO Reader employs the microencapsulated ink imaging film. This means screen requires no front- or back-lighting to display texts and pictures, and because of this the display uses no power to maintain an image.
Although the ECO Reader is rather pricey ($449), the number of books and music tracks it can store is very impressive. The ECO Reader comes with 21 books preinstalled, featuring classics like George Orwell’s 1984 and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. The device comes with 512MB of internal memory and its storage can be expanded via its SD card slot — it will accept SD cards up to 4GB (equating to roughly 1000 books). Fancy that, you can carry a thousand books around with you and it weighs only 220grams!
The ECO Reader runs on a Linux platform and it's incredibly easy to navigate its menu interface. Transferring downloaded files via USB to the reader is as simple as dragging and dropping. You can even keep music (or audio books) on the ECO Reader and listen to it with the headphones that come included in the package. However battery life decreases faster when music is being played.
The ECO supports a multitude of file types, but most eBook downloads will probably be in PDF format or plain text.
Probably the most annoying thing about the ECO Reader how long it takes to load content. But if you’re patient enough to sit and read a book then we’re sure you’ll be patient enough to handle loading times.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Saints Row II is free on GOG, but not for long
- The original StarCraft and its beloved Brood War expansion are now free
- Xbox One Insiders get first crack at player-organized tournaments
- Meet the new Microsoft Edge: 5 key improvements with the Creators Update
- Microsoft will unveil Project Scorpio, the next Xbox, at E3
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- FTSecurity Support Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- TPMaster Portfolio SchedulerVIC
- FTTechnical Architect - Network /InfrastructureQLD
- CCSenior Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)WA
- FTSenior Project Coordinator-Datacentre relocation backgroundNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent job . ACT LocationACT
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTIntegration DeveloperWA
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- CCProject Scheduler/CoordinatorVIC
- CCA/V OfficerNSW
- CCProject Communications and Engagement SpecialistNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- TPFront-End DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Digital Business Analyst, AGILE, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Content MigrationVIC
- FTSecurity Consultant -10056987-001VIC