Canon PIXMA MP160
- Price, easy to print from the MP Navigator
- Doesn't have a colour-LCD or memory card slot, some streaking when copying in mono
The Canon Pixma MP160's everyday print jobs came out crisp, while scans are above-average but with limited resolution. The lack of a memory card slot could be an important omission.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 14 stores)
- 20 Ink For Canon Ip4600 Ip4700 Mp540 Mp620 Mp63... 73.98
- Pixma Ip100 Portable Mobile Colour Borderless P... 349.00
- Pixma Ip7260 Colour Inkjet Printer Auto Duplex ... 95.00
At only $79, we were delighted to find that the Canon Pixma MP160's photo print quality was above average - a match for the more expensive MP180, if 20 seconds slower. Text printing in draft, normal and high-quality modes was uniformly fast with crisp results.
We found the grey Canon Pixma MP160's looks a little dull, but this robust device is compact and portable. Unfortunately, during our tests the Canon Pixma MP160's scanner lid tended to come crashing down as we adjusted a document's position. A stronger hinge would have fixed this. And sheets of paper were routinely sucked into the Canon Pixma MP160 at an angle, despite being loaded with care into its robust paper tray.
As the least expensive MFD we tested this month, the $79 Canon Pixma MP160 lacks both a colour-LCD and a memory card slot. But there is, at least, a PictBridge port for direct camera printing. Some printer maintenance can also be handled via an on-body switch. Among the usual array of one-click buttons are options to specify paper type and fit to page. Driver and software installation is a simple process. The bundled MP Navigator software is divided into three sections: scan, view and enhance images. Custom scans can be carried out with a single click, but are limited to 600x1200dpi. Scans can be saved in various ways, including as PDF or an e-mail attachment.
The excellent scanning software will correct slanted documents and automatically crop images. MP Navigator also makes successful printing easy, using drop-down menus to select such options as paper type, lightness, darkness and the quality of prints.
The Canon Pixma MP160's colour copies are produced quickly but suffer colour casts and banding. Streaking appeared when we attempted mono copying, though the copy more closely resembled the original.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 2 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 3 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 5 TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- One week after patch, Flash vulnerability already exploited in large-scale attacks
- Candidates for EU's data protection job heard by the European Parliament
- Citrix's ShareFile gets document signing thanks to acquisition
- Alibaba's mobile OS in China boosted by Meizu partnership
- Your online TV watching is now being tracked across devices
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW