Canon Pixma iP90
- Fast text printing, clarity of prints
- Lacks memory card slots
This portable gives speedy prints, but beware the cost of extras.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Canon's PIXMA iP90 portable photo printer offers good prints for mobile users. The 1.8kg unit prints better and faster than its predecessor, the Canon i80, and even competes with full-size rivals.
We clocked the iP90 printing text at 6.3 pages per minute (ppm)--faster than many desktop inkjet printers and 10% quicker than the i80. Colour graphics came at a relatively slow 1.4ppm, but our test photo printed in a reasonable 2 minutes and 33 seconds, nearly a minute faster than the i80.
In our quality tests, the iP90 produced text documents with finely formed characters. The print was dark and very readable, although on several occasions we noticed slightly misaligned characters. There was also a moderate amount of banding in our plain-paper line art and colour graphics samples, but overall, the clarity of the prints impressed us. On photo paper, colour and greyscale images looked a little light; and compared with prints from full-size inkjets, the images lacked some contrast, which made them look slightly blurry. That said, the unit produced very crisp photos for a portable printer.
The iP90 comes equipped with a 198gm universal power adapter, but to get the most uptime on your travels, you'll have to spring for the optional battery and charging kit or car power adapter.
The iP90 offers plenty of connectivity options, but lacks the memory card slots found on some portable printers. In addition to a USB port, there's a built-in infrared port (useful with mobile phone cameras), a PictBridge port for compatible cameras, and a Bluetooth option.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia