Canon Pixma iP8500
- High speed, low running costs
- Lack of flash media slots
The IP8500 prints photos very quickly, has a duplexer, and has cheaper-than-averages ink and paper costs. However, its limited direct-print features make it best suited for use hooked up to a PC.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
During our tests the Canon PIXMA IP8500 printed great-looking photos and very attractive borderless snapshots, but it costs a good deal more than some comparable models, such as the HP Photosmart 8450. One thing the extra money will buy you is time when printing snapshots: the PIXMA IP8500 printed a 4" x 6" photo in just 39 seconds, more than three times faster than the HP Photosmart 8450. This PIXMA printed to plain paper at below-average speeds, however: 3.4 ppm for text and 1.4 ppm for graphics.
The IP8500's ink and paper costs are lower than average, at roughly 57 cents per snapshot at the time of writing. It uses eight individual ink cartridges, adding red and green inks to the standard cyan, magenta and yellow. Our borderless 4" x 6" print was every bit as good as the photos the PIXMA IP8500 printed on letter-sized paper. The prints looked quite sharp, with rich colours and sufficient detail in darker areas. Text didn't look as crisp as the text printed by some other models we have tested, but edges were fairly sharp.
If you plan to perform all your image editing and printing functions from your PC, you won't mind that the IP8500 doesn't have media card slots or an LCD. But that doesn't mean you're entirely out in the cold with your digital camera: the IP8500 has a direct-print port for printing directly from a compatible camera.
There are only two buttons on the control panel: a resume/cancel button and a paper tray selector. Also, the direct-print port doesn't allow you to upload the images to your PC, unlike some other models we've tested.
The IP8500 holds a lot of paper. The drawer in the base of the printer takes up to 150 sheets of letter-size paper, sticking out of the front in order to do so; when holding 4" x 6" or 5" x 7" paper, the drawer remains flush with the front panel. The upright sheet feeder at the back of the printer can hold an additional 150 sheets, and accommodates up to legal-size paper.
The Canon PIXMA IP8500 has a built-in duplexer for making double-sided prints, but it waits a few seconds so the ink on the first side can dry before it begins printing on the second side.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCTest Reporter - Gold CoastQLD
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC