First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Canon PIXMA iP3500
- Fast; low-priced; crisp, black text; has a second input tray
- Crowded design, inscrutable buttons, flesh tones tend to be yellowish
One of the better budget inkjet printers, the Canon Pixma iP3500 hits the spot offering above average performance and a decent amount of features for a fair price.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 6 stores)
- Pgi5 Black Ink Cart 360 Pages Black 24.32
- Pgi5 Black Ink Twin Pack 360 Pages each Black 48.33
- Ip100 Office Inkjet 424.08
The Canon Pixma iP3500 inkjet printer is ambitious, squeezing a lot of printer functionality into an inexpensive package. While it falls short in some ways, it's still a great value.
The Pixma iP3500 printed quickly and competently. Plain-text pages exited at a brisk pace of 8.3 pages per minute (ppm), while photo-printing speeds ranged from 1.6 to 3.2ppm in our tests, about average overall. On plain paper, even closely spaced fonts looked precise and nicely black, with just a little jaggedness in curvier letters. Most of the colour images we printed exhibited a yellow to orange cast, which made them look warmer and more attractive but also produced slightly odd flesh tones.
At rest, the Pixma iP3500 looks like a shiny, black bread box. When it's time to print, an array of doors, flaps, and panels reveals a versatile -- if sometimes complicated -- set of features. The usual top-loading input tray takes a wide range of media sizes. The two-part output tray looks like an Evel Knievel jump: paper slides from a short tongue of plastic over a small bit of empty space toward a longer end piece. Nestled into the empty space is a second input tray that takes a few standard media sizes (A4, letter, B5); you could, for instance, load plain paper there and have the top input tray free for loading photo paper or labels. The small crowd of tongues, trays, and extensions can be confusing -- it's hard to tell where things go in or out -- but the second input is still a nice bonus. The few controls (visible when the front door is open for normal operation) are scattered, and their icon-based labels are hard to decipher.
A permanent printhead and removable ink tanks for each of the four colours sit beneath the printer's centre panel. The user-friendly design has clearly visible slots for the tanks. Like the ink tanks on other Canon inkjets, each of the Pixma iP3500's tanks has an embedded LED that lights red when the tank is properly inserted (which seems counterintuitive -- why not green?). The Pixma iP3500's ink costs, based on documents with a mix of text and graphics, seem reasonable: black ink costs about 5 cents per page, and adding cyan, magenta, and yellow brings the cost to 15.9 cents per page.
The installation includes Easy Photo-Print EX software for organising, editing and printing photos, plus Canon's My Printer application for adjusting settings and troubleshooting. A thorough on-screen manual covers both hardware and software. A Solutions Menu interface centralizes access to all of these items.
The Canon Pixma iP3500 hits the sweet spot among inkjet printers, offering a fair number of features and performance for the price. It's one of the better low-cost printers we've seen.
Latest News Articles
- LTE network for US public safety taking it one step at a time
- Phone unlocking bill clears US House, next step is president's signature
- Oracle's new in-memory database option could spark unanticipated costs, expert warns
- Bose sues Beats over headphone patents
- SEC drops probe into Facebook's pre-IPO sales disclosures
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 5 What does an NBN connection look like in a new home?
GGG Evaluation Team
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Printers & Scanners View all »
- Notebooks View all »
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Tablets View all »
- Software and Services View all »