- Performance for the price, DiG!C II colour quality
- 1.23 megapixel resolution on the low side for stills
The Canon MVX 330i gives the serious video enthusiasts all the features required for taking great video, with a simple point and shoot operation. The photo features are well thought out, with simple sharing options for printing, with or without a PC.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
The Canon MVX330i is ideal for both inexperienced videomakers and for video enthusiasts purchasing their second or third camcorder. An Easy mode takes care of all the exposure settings for you--or you can take creative control by choosing the appropriate exposure, picture effect or white balance setting yourself.
A print/share button, now standard on most Canon still and video cameras, makes it easy to print photos. Stills are captured at around 1.2 megapixel quality and sent to either a printer connected to PC, or to a standalone printer that supports CP Photo, PictBridge or Bubble Jet Direct print.
Although the resolution is lower than some of its competitors, photo-taking tools such as onboard flash and an accessory shoe make it easy to create good quality postcard-size photos. Stitch assist, auto exposure bracketing and a My Camera function provide more than enough tools to get the perfect happy snap.
Driving the MVX330i is a breeze. It sits comfortably in the right hand, with the zoom, record, photo and exposure controls within easy reach. More extensive menu and playback controls are on the left-hand side of the camera, with a series of buttons behind an excellent 2.5" LCD viewfinder with brightness adjustment. An optical viewfinder with dioptric and height adjustment provides an alternative when conditions become too bright.
The 18X variable-speed optical zoom lens (for still and video shooting) is fast and, while not the largest in its class, would be well suited for most picture-taking situations.
Unlike some other cameras in this price range, the MVX330i delivers true 920,000 resolution, 16:9 widescreen video. This is a better option than simply stretching the video footage to fit the widescreen area or adding a black band at the top and bottom of the video screen.
Colour performance on the MVX330i could only be described as vibrant, with reds and greens extremely bright and saturated. Low light performance was reasonable with good quality in most daylight situations. A night mode is also available, but it delivered washed out, sepia-coloured footage.
The MVX330i supports FireWire (or IEEE 1394) and USB 2.0. There is no S-Video connection on the MVX330i, but you do get an AV plug allowing stereo audio and composite video input and output. Although there is ample room to move the camera about when on a tripod, you would need to take the camera off the mount to change a DV tape.
The Canon MVX330i has enough features and quality to make it a cut above the average entry-level camcorder.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Facebook launches tool for capturing 360 video inside VR
- Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro finally adds 4K video support for local files
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- FTIT ArchitectNSW
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | DETQLD
- FTTester AnalystACT
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - UX experience NeededNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security - TelcoVIC
- FTHelpdesk SupportNSW
- FTSystem AnalystsACT
- FTMobile Studio Manager/ Mobile UX Manager - GAME CHANGER!NSW
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- TPPHP Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTService ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Architect - Perth BasedQLD
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- CCSenior UNIX AdministratorNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global Ecommerce BrandNSW
- FTUI/UX DesignerSA
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW