Canon IXUS i Zoom
- Cool enough for James Bond, good features, nice button layout
- Images could use a little work, requires a cradle
Perfect for the fashion conscious buyer, this little great looking camera performs most functions adequately.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Canon's 5 megapixel IXUS i zoom is one of the best looking camera models we've ever seen. It is tiny and cased matte black metal with silver rimming, and has a 1.8" LCD that is particularly good in dark conditions. The IXUS looks like it belongs on the catwalk.
One complaint we have, however, is that the silver sections feel a little flimsy in comparison to the rest of the body. Their shiny finish also had a nasty habit of picking up fingerprints and marking easily, which meant after just a few hours use the previously immaculate chassis appeared grimy and dull in comparison. Overall, the camera feels reasonably solid and sits well in the hands.
The IXUS is a mixed bag when it comes to features. It falls short of full manual control with regards to aperture, shutter speed and white balance, but offers a nice selection of shooting modes, particularly the My Colour menu, which allows you to highlight certain colours and bring the most out of your various subjects. It also offers unlimited continuous shots (until your memory fills up) but doesn't offer too much in the way of scene shooting modes, with just a handful of the basics such as landscape and portrait.
A simple button layout grants access to all these functions. We really prefer the more minimal approach taken here to the older, clunky function wheels, which can be difficult to navigate and often the first part to break.
The IXUS has a simple, three-way switch to navigate between photo, video and playback modes, and the rest of the options are handled through the function and menu buttons below the directional pad. The layout is perfect, and allows easy and natural access to all the buttons despite being confined to a cramped space.
The pictures taken by the camera were reasonable. Our test shots were quite blurred around the edges, which is a common problem in many compact cameras, but not bad enough to be really noticeable. The photos also looked a little grainy in detailed areas.
We found the fact that the camera must be on a cradle to transfer files to the PC and to charge quite irritating. Lugging around a cradle, even one as small as the one that comes with the IXUS, is a pain.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager TelecommunicationsQLD
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW