Canon EOS-1D Mark II
- 8.2 megapixel sensor, excellent image processing
A great camera, offering more than just cosmetic improvements over its predecessor.
Price$ 7,999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Sporting an 8.2 megapixel CMOS sensor (twice the resolution of the original EOS-1D), the Canon EOS-1D Mark II is capable of capturing 8 megapixel JPEG images at 8.5 frames per second in continuous bursts of 40 frames, or RAW images in continuous bursts of up to 20 frames. With its DiG!C II image processor, the Canon can process large files quickly, with improved colour rendering and detail.
The EOS-1D Mark II sports a redesigned flash metering system that retains compatibility with Canon's EX-series Speedlites. The EOS-1D Mark II captures images well in low-light conditions with less noise; it has good auto white balance control, user-set white balance compensation and many other features. The camera tags images with EXIF 2.21-compatible metadata, including Adobe Systems 1998 RGB colour space profiles, so users don't have to tweak colour space manually in Photoshop.
The EOS-1D Mark II's has a shutter that's been durability-tested to 200,000 exposures. The shutter operates at speeds from 30 seconds to 1/8000 of a second, and has a lag time of just 55ms (adjustable to 40ms). The lens mount is stainless steel and is compatible with all Canon EF, TS-E and MP-E lenses.
The camera accepts CompactFlash Type I and Type II cards as well as Microdrives; it also sports a second card slot that's compatible with SD cards. Settings can even be customised on the camera, saved onto a card and then loaded onto another camera intact.
Digital photographers frustrated by slow interfaces on their existing cameras will be happy to know that the EOS-1D Mark II includes both USB 2.0 and FireWire interfaces, to help images download that much faster. The EOS-1D Mark II supports Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP), so additional drivers aren't required to enable it to talk with a Windows XP or Mac OS X system.
The camera uses the same NP-E3 NiMH power pack seen on the EOS-1D and 1Ds models. According to Canon, the NP-E3 is good for about 1200 shots per charge at normal operating temperatures.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCIncident ManagerSA
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW