Canon Digital IXUS 60
- Small, Brilliant colour performance
- Poor performance at high ISO levels
Performed well across a broad range of tests and is only really let down by its high ISO performance.
Price$ 579.00 (AUD)
Canon's IXUS 60 is a competant compact camera. It has all the elements you'd expect from such a product, including above average image quality, a decent set of features and a slim design. While you won't be blown away by its performance, colour reproduction is excellent and if you're looking for a basic point and shoot then this model should be a consideration.
Imatest revealed that the IXUS 60 was a good all round performer. It achieved a sharpness result of 1263 which is about average for a six megapixel model in this category. We generally found our shots were crisp and quite detailed; certainly more than adequate for day to day photography. The test also revealed medium levels of chromatic aberration with the IXUS 60 netting a score of .111%. This is slightly above average, but not by much, and the impact it has on the shots is minimal.
It was in our colourchecker test that the IXUS 60 really amazed us, scoring an excellent and extremely low 5.52. Most compacts struggle to get below 10, and we've only seen one unit in the past that has dropped below the six barrier. Our test shots corroborated this result with rich colours that brought the pictures to life. Red was the only colour the camera struggled a little with, but this is a common theme amongst pretty much all compacts.
The IXUS 60's image noise performance, while not quite as impressive as its colour result, was fairly solid. With a score of .57%, there was no visible noise on our shots at lower ISOs. However, it doesn't scale as well as most other compacts, and at the higher ISO levels like ISO 800, the score shot up to 2.24%, which is quite a bit bigger than average. This indicates the IXUS 60 is not the best choice for shooting at night, or in fast paced situations.
When we fired up the IXUS 60's menu we were greeted by a standard array of features. Having ISO setting all the way up to 800 is impressive, but the camera didn't perform at these higher settings adequately. We liked the burst mode, which captured shots at three frames a second until the buffer filled up. The feature set was rounded out by the exposure, whitebalance and focus options, but there were only four scene modes.
Its performance in our speed testing was of a similar standard; a little above average but not exceptional. The .1 second shutter lag was about what we expected, and the 1.5 second shot to shot time is in line with competing models. The only standout was its 1.7 second powerup time, which was pretty speedy by compact standards.
We were quite pleased with the design of this camera. It feels sturdy, and is quite compact, measuring 86mm x 21.7mm x 53.5mm, so it will comfortably fit in your pocket or a small bag. The entirely metal chassis is painted in a chrome/silver combination which looks pretty good, if a little basic.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIntegration DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerACT
- TPProject/Deployment ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Consultant -10056987-001VIC
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst (BI Focus)WA
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- TPSAS DeveloperWA
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCAutomation DeveloperNSW
- TPLevel 2/3 Desktop Support AnalystVIC
- FTSecurity Support Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCTraining Content and Delivery SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Scheduler/CoordinatorVIC
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTHRIS Systems Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW