Canon CanoScan 9950F
- High speed, good scan quality, neat film and transparency tools
- Nothing notable
Canon's CanoScan 9950F is a great scanning option for expert users who need high-quality powerful tools, and speed.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The Canon CanoScan 9950F is a pricey powerhouse that can scan both prints and film at a maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. Producing crisp, colourful scans with swift speed, the CanoScan 9950F would be a good choice for small offices, graphics professionals or photo hobbyists.
In our standard image-quality tests, the device produced excellent printed 100dpi scans of a 4" x 5" colour photo; the scan showed excellent brightness, sharpness of detail and colour reproduction.
The 9950F also earned top ratings in our printed and on-screen black-and-white line-art test scans, both of which were scanned at the unit's maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. The 9950F provided fine details in hard-to-capture circular moire and crossbar patterns.
One of the reasons for this scanner's impressive image quality, according to Canon, is that the 9950F features a new optical system with an aspherical lens element (called the Super Toric Lens) that more efficiently transmits light to the image sensor.
Aside from its excellent scan quality, the 9950F stood out due to its tools for scanning film and transparencies. It comes with a built-in adapter for transparencies as well as three sturdy film holders for multiple-image scanning. These guides allow for batch scanning of up to 12 35mm slides, 30 frames from five 35mm filmstrips, and eight frames from two medium-format (120mm) filmstrips. Canon also provides a fourth film holder for scanning single 4" x 5" and 120mm transparencies.
The 9950F's adept ScanGear CS driver can automatically scan all of the images in a holder and save each scan in an individual file. You can also batch-scan up to ten reflective items, such as photo prints. Such features make this scanner a workhorse for groups that do publishing production, such as catalogue houses and graphic-arts departments.
Tested with USB 2.0, the 9950F took just under 29 seconds to scan a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200dpi--an outstanding result.
The 9950F has four quick-start buttons (Copy, Scan, E-Mail, and PDF) and comes with a generous software bundle that includes the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 and ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5 photo editors, the NewSoft Presto PageManager 6.11 document management tool, and ScanSoft's OmniPage SE 2 optical character recognition package. The scanner also comes with Canon's own CanoScan Toolbox 4.9, a helpful utility that lets you customise the hardware's push buttons and set up additional software-driven buttons for passing scanned images to other linked applications.
Like the drivers of other corporate scanners, the 9950F's driver includes image-enhancement features such as fade correction, dust and scratch removal, and grain correction. We were pleased with the results when we tried out these tools: the 9950F's fade correction, for example, took the jaundiced look out of a family portrait that had yellowed with
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCBI Technical LeadACT