Cambridge Audio Azur 640T
- Easy to set up, easy to use, accurate tuning, attractive and well designed
- LCD screen could have been bigger
A good FM tuner, but DAB support is not yet useful
Price$ 700.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Azur Bloch MB152C1 Red and Yellow Stripes Airpl... 247.99
It seems strange to introduce a digital radio tuner to countries that have yet to fully adopt digital radio.
At the time of writing, there was no full-service digital audio broadcasting (DAB) in Australia or New Zealand. Europe and the US have DAB, but with different standards, broadcast technologies and business models. Consequently, the Azur's strongest feature is yet to be of much use to Australians.
It's otherwise an excellent analog FM tuner, with support for radio data service (RDS; not DAB, but a way of sending messages to enabled receivers). I tested the 640T using our Yamaha 02R96 digital audio production suite through Dynaudio Acoustics BMGA Professional Studio Monitors at the Auckland University of Technology. It was simple to set up and easy to use.
Tuning was extremely accurate, with the excellent sound expected from high-spec digital gear. Naturally, I couldn't find any DAB stations, but the specifications show it will translate DAB signals well, assuming we adopt the standards it was designed for (which looks likely).
It features Natural Contour switching between normal, 'lively' and 'warm' modes to fatten up thin-sounding DAB and for adding depth to FM signals. It has a clean, simple front panel and remote, although for an RDS-capable tuner the LCD screen could have been bigger. There are also inputs for another tuner and coaxial and digital outputs.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's 4K Blu-ray player debuts locally in May
- Report: Amazon wants to take on Spotify with a new music streaming service
- Apple is reportedly seeking exclusive content for the Apple TV
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- CCDigital ProducerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTLogistics Systems ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- FTPHP ProgrammerSA
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCICT Infrastructure Specialist - (Network Engineer)ACT
- CCHybris Developer - Global Digital AgencyNSW
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCSenior Change Analyst - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystWA
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW