Cambridge Audio Azur 640T
- Easy to set up, easy to use, accurate tuning, attractive and well designed
- LCD screen could have been bigger
A good FM tuner, but DAB support is not yet useful
Price$ 700.00 (AUD)
It seems strange to introduce a digital radio tuner to countries that have yet to fully adopt digital radio.
At the time of writing, there was no full-service digital audio broadcasting (DAB) in Australia or New Zealand. Europe and the US have DAB, but with different standards, broadcast technologies and business models. Consequently, the Azur's strongest feature is yet to be of much use to Australians.
It's otherwise an excellent analog FM tuner, with support for radio data service (RDS; not DAB, but a way of sending messages to enabled receivers). I tested the 640T using our Yamaha 02R96 digital audio production suite through Dynaudio Acoustics BMGA Professional Studio Monitors at the Auckland University of Technology. It was simple to set up and easy to use.
Tuning was extremely accurate, with the excellent sound expected from high-spec digital gear. Naturally, I couldn't find any DAB stations, but the specifications show it will translate DAB signals well, assuming we adopt the standards it was designed for (which looks likely).
It features Natural Contour switching between normal, 'lively' and 'warm' modes to fatten up thin-sounding DAB and for adding depth to FM signals. It has a clean, simple front panel and remote, although for an RDS-capable tuner the LCD screen could have been bigger. There are also inputs for another tuner and coaxial and digital outputs.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Google's 4K HDR Chromecast Ultra costs US$69, and will launch in November
- Xiaomi's 4K-capable Mi Box is the most affordable Android TV device yet
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager - FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161017/ITA/742Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 161031/AP/512Asia
- CCMobile Developers (IOS and Android)QLD
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCFront End Developer - Mid LevelNSW
- CCQlikview DeveloperNSW
- CCJunior Programmer (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 161017/JP/221Asia
- CCData Centre EngineerNSW
- CCCommunications ManagerVIC
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCResident Operation Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- FTSOE ArchitectNSW
- FTDirector Data AnalyticsACT
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCNetwork Designer/ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerSA
- CCSiebel DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW