NEO Pro 4.0
NEO Pro 4.0 is a tool that organises your Outlook email in useful, intuitive ways and provides lightning-fast searches
- Handles attachments well, bulk mail folder, fast searches
The biggest downside to NEO Pro 4.0 is its cost: US$50 seems a bit hefty to us. But you do get a 90-day free trial, after which you just may find that you can't go back to life before NEO Pro.
A lot of add-ons promise to help you restore order to your mess of an Outlook inbox, but most of the apps we've tried just resulted in more work for me. Not NEO Pro, though: this handy Outlook add-on is the first we've used that we actually plan to keep using.
NEO Pro 4.0 is a US$50 tool that organises your Outlook email in useful, intuitive ways and provides lightning-fast searches. Once installed, NEO (which stands for Nelson Email Organizer) Pro launches whenever you open Outlook. But getting NEO Pro installed wasn't exactly seamless for me: the first time we installed it on my Vista machine, it wouldn't run.
We got an error message that appeared repeatedly until the company pointed us to a fix on their support site. It involved making slight changes to a few registry values. Another installation of NEO Pro on a second Vista computer worked fine from the start, with no errors.
After making the fix, we were in business: NEO Pro creates a catalogue of all your messages, which are then sorted into various folders. NEO Pro runs alongside Outlook, so you can manage all of your email from within its own Outlook-like interface.
If you don't like this idea, you can still use Outlook for managing your email, and use NEO Pro only when you want to find a certain message. Messages are sorted by correspondent, date (and within the date folder, they're broken out by recent days, weeks, and months), category, status (whether you've assigned a follow-up action, for example), and attachments.
NEO Pro's handling of attachments is particularly helpful, as it defaults to sorting them by the name of the attachment, not the sender. We often find myself looking for a specific file, while having no idea who sent it, so we liked this feature. You can even sort by type of file, including whether it's a .docx file or .doc.
NEO Pro has a bulk mail folder that is not just for spam. By default, NEO Pro collects "indirect" messages and places them there. We get plenty of indirect messages in the form of press releases, and we liked having a place to collect them. if you'd rather not use it, though, new in version 4.0 is the ability to disable this automatic bulk mail management. Another new feature is the ability to assign rules to designate email as bulk mail based on all or part of a subject line.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXWA
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCTest Analysts - MainframeACT
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW