CA Technologies Vet Anti-Virus
- Very simple to use, Easy to set-up and install
- Lacks some advanced features, E-mail scanning is time consuming
Recommended for the basic home user and doesn’t hog system resources, so it will be appreciated.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Computer Associates Vet Anti-Virus 2006 is a simple and very easy to use program which takes up minimal space on your PC, but if you're after advanced options, then perhaps it would be wise to look elsewhere.
The most impressive feature of Vet Anti-Virus is without doubt its simplicity and ease of use and this begins right from installation. The program took no less than 10 seconds to install on our PC and after a quick reboot, we were ready to go. Vet Anti-Virus only takes up a paltry 10MB of disk space, meaning those with heavily loaded machines will find it comfortable to use and it does not slow down your PC. Many programs of this type have a tendency to hog system resources and reduce your computer to snail-like speeds, so it was refreshing to see that Computer Associates have not fallen into this trap.
After installation and reboot, a quick start wizard appears which directs you to download the latest virus signature file update and activate the program. These updates are delivered almost on a daily basis to ensure that the software is always adequate to deal with new threats. If you don't like programs opening or pop-ups appearing when you start-up your computer (who does?), you can conveniently disable this quick start wizard.
The interface of the program itself continues with the simple yet effective theme. The main window uses a tab system to operate the software, which is highly intuitive and certainly very easy to get around. You can scan your entire computer, schedule a scan at a specific time and date or use selective scanning - which only scans specific files or folders which you can specify. The initial scan we performed on our test PC took less than five minutes and we had no issues with any files it detected. The entire operation was swift, extremely quick and done with a minimum of fuss - just how we like it.
The Automatic email scanning however was somewhat time consuming. It takes quite a while for the program to scan each outgoing and incoming message and if you need to send a quick e-mail before leaving the house, this poses a subtle, yet notable annoyance.
We were also impressed with what CA call "Real-Time Scanning", which means files are scanned as soon as they are opened, closed or saved to your PC, increasing protection and peace of mind. Other additions to this version include File Quarantine, which prevents you from fully erasing important system files and an advanced help system which we found very useful - even though we didn't have to use it very often.
CA also includes free product upgrades, free phone support and free access to a substantial online help service should you ever need it, which rounds out an extremely good value for money package. This is a program that anyone with a home PC should be able to use and for this, it's highly recommended. If you require more advanced options though, such as a Personal Firewall and Anti-Spam protection, you may be better off with a security suite instead of just anti-virus software.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCTechnical Team LeadSA
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD