Buffalo Technology WZR-RS-G54
- Potentially very cost effective
- Some security problems could hinder connections
If you can survive setup and corporate-security blocks, this device promises economical remote access.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
People who want secure remote access to PCs at their home or small business while on the road typically turn to services such as GoToMyPC and PCAnywhere, but those options can get expensive with multiple users and PCs. Buffalo Technology offers an economical alternative: a Wi-Fi router that accepts VPN (virtual private network) connections and provides file access and even remote PC control.
Like other 802.11g Wi-Fi routers, Buffalo's AirStation 125 High-Speed Mode Wireless Secure Remote Gateway (WZR-RS-G54) allows networked PCs to share broadband Internet access and community files and printers. You can also configure it as a Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) server that lets you log in remotely using most standard VPN clients (including Windows XP's).
Once remotely connected, you launch a standard browser to view available networked devices and to access files. In addition, if you have installed the supplied Virtual Network Computing software on a connected PC, you can view and control the desktop.
In my tests with a shipping version, the scheme worked well from most locations--once Buffalo's support technicians helped me change some obscure settings in the Windows Firewall of Windows XP Service Pack 2.
In a more serious glitch, I wasn't able to make the VPN connection to my home network from my workplace, apparently because our office's corporate security provisions. This sort of snafu wouldn't arise with GoToMyPC service, which makes the secure connection to a single computer from its own servers.
Buffalo's router allows up to 100 users to connect to multiple PCs, so if you could make the VPN connection when you needed to, this AirStation could save you a bundle.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAEM/CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.Net/Crystal Report) 160504/AP/vtdAsia
- CCSenior Java Analyst / AdministratorACT
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCCommunications OfficeACT
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCFront end web developer - JUNE / JULY STARTACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- CCMEAN Stack DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCSenior Analyst Designer / AWS and AzureVIC
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW