Buffalo Technology AirStation MIMO WZR-G108
- MIMO support
- Nothing of note
This router is recommended if you want a stable and far-reaching wireless network.
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
If you want to implement a far-reaching and speedy Wi-Fi network, a MIMO-capable (multiple-in, multiple-out antenna technology) router is currently your best option, and Buffalo's AirStation MIMO WZR-G108 is worth considering.
It's a 4-port router that can be used to distribute an ADSL or a cable Internet connection and it can provide a theoretical throughput of up to 108Mbps (13.5MBps) for wireless transmissions by using two radio channels.
The router's wireless speed was tested over short and medium distances by transferring a 717MB video file from a file server to a wireless notebook using a Buffalo AirStation MIMO WLI-CB G108 PC Card adapter. At a distance of 1.5m without any walls or other obstacles, an average throughput of 3.79MBps was achieved. At a distance of 10m through a double-brick wall, the same file averaged a throughput of 3.61MBps. Multiple transfers recorded similar times in our tests. In fact the router streamed video comfortably at up to 30m away and you can still browse the Internet at up to 50m.
The router supports the latest encryption algorithms, and we used WPA (Wi-Fi protected access) and AES (advanced encryption system) in our tests. Additionally, the router supports AOSS (AirStation One-Touch Secure System), which is a Buffalo-specific feature that can automatically, at the touch of one button, enable the highest available security for your wireless network. The router has all the networking features expected in this price range, including an easy to access event log. It was very stable during continuous tests while distributing an ADSL connection across three computers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP Payroll Implement/Migration Project Manager/ SpecialistNSW
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCInfrastructure Solution DesignerACT
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- CCInformation Management Project Manager (SAP BI)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC