Bose On-Ear Headphones
These lightweight, compact Bose headphones have an expansive sound that's not short on bass
- Portable, well-rounded sound
- Poor cable design, mediocre build quality
Bose's portable On-Ear Headphones don't have the noise cancelling of more expensive products from the company, but they do have good sound quality and are light and portable. We weren't thrilled with the cable design or build quality, but the reasonable price tag puts the Bose On-Ear Headphones in direct competition with Sennheiser's portable models.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Bose On-Ear Headphones are light (under 150g), compact enough to fit into a large pocket, and have impressive sound quality. If you travel regularly but don't like in-ear headphones or earbuds, a portable set of headphones like these may be just what you need.
We think the Bose On-Ear Headphones are definitely competent when it comes to reproducing audio. A strong mid-bass component gives richness and warmth to music and vocals, while treble is crisp and reasonably detailed. Lower bass trails off early in the frequency range, but this is to be expected from portable headphones which use small drivers. The Bose On-Ear Headphones are versatile enough for music like rock and dance music, but we'd probably hold off on the bass-heavy electronica and classical music.
The build quality of the Bose On-Ear Headphones is acceptable but not brilliant. We're generally not fans of leatherette finishes on headbands and earcups as it tends to become quite sweaty after a short period of wear. The upside is that the material is soft and comfortable. The headband telescopes for finetuning earcup placement, although as the headphones sit on the ear rather than around them you will need to spend some time finding the most comfortable position.
We didn't find these headphones fatiguing to wear for long periods, making them a good choice if you have a long commute every day.
The left earcup of the Bose On-Ear Headphones has a male 3.5mm headphone jack that is used to connect one of two bundled 3.5mm cables. We would have preferred a headphone socket instead. These headphones do not feature the active noise cancelling of Bose's QuietComfort 15 headphones, but a small amount of acoustic noise cancellation is provided by the On-Ear Headphones' tight clamping force.
The $199 price tag of the Bose On-Ear Headphones means they compete against products like the lower-end models in Sennheiser's PX portable headphone series. They may not be as advanced as more expensive Bose models, but the Bose On-Ear Headphones impressed us with their compromise between portability and sound quality.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk Support (CISCO)QLD
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)ACT
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD