Continuum Complete 6
Boris Continuum Complete isn’t quite the bargain it once was.
- Excellent 3D extruded text and object filters that remove the need to use an external tool such as Boris Red, huge range of controls, high-end output quality
- Pricey, 3D Objects filters don’t work in Premiere or on PPC Macs, AE workflow makes extruding vector shapes fiddly
BCC 6 is a powerful collection of plug-ins that most motion graphics artists and editors will want, especially for the new 3D Objects filters.
Price$ 995.00 (AUD)
Boris Continuum Complete isn’t quite the bargain it once was.
The headline new feature is a group called 3D Objects, which includes: Extruded Text, Type-On Text, Extruded Spline, and Layer Deformer. These replicate tools that could previously only be found in Boris FX’s Boris Red and Boris Blue motion-graphics applications – and it’s great to have them within After Effects>.
Extruded Text enables you to create 3D text in any font, with full control over how it’s presented. What you can modify ranges from the textures used to typographic tools such as kerning and leading to applying smoothing elements such as bevels. You can also apply 3D-animated effects such as shatter, bend and ripple.
Where Extruded Text really shines – literally – is in its integration with the rest of AE’s 3D workspace. The text interacts with lights and cameras, casting shadows if necessary, and you can use other layers to create reflection maps (for added realism) or texture maps (for ‘on-text’ video).
If you’re an AE user who previously went out to Boris Red or Blue to create these elements, you’ll really appreciate how much quicker it is to do within AE using BCC 6. If it wasn’t for Red’s ability to import 3D models – something BCC can’t do – we’d say that this new collection makes Red redundant. Blue has a real-time system that no AE plug-in can match – but many of BCC 6’s filters are Open GL-accelerated, so preview very swiftly.
Extruded Text uses Boris FX’s traditional text-creation dialog, which makes accurate placement more difficult than typing on-screen using AE’s standard text engine.
The other 3D Objects filters offer the same huge range of controls. Type-On Text swaps Extruded Text’s animated effects for ‘type-on’ presets. Extruded Spline works with mask shapes – ones you’ve created or copy-and-pasted from Illustrator. Most users are going to want to extrude Illustrator shapes, and having to go through the copy-and-paste process is a pain. It would be better if you could import AI or EPS files from within the plug-in. Layer Deformer turns 2D layers into 3D shapes, either for distortion or wrapping around a primitive such as a cube or a sphere.
BCC 6 currently runs under AE 7, CS3 and CS4, as well as Premiere Pro, though the 3D Objects filters won’t work here. They also won’t work in AE on non-Intel Macs. There’s no version of BCC 6 yet for Final Cut Studio or Avid Media Composer; we expect these to be released soon.
The new release also includes other new filters including some sketching effects (above), dust and ‘jaggie’ removal filters, a useful skin-smoothing effect, Lightning and Tile Mosiac. They’re worthy additions but not as essential as the 3D Objects filters.
Some of the suite’s older filters have been bolstered by using AE’s own masks as paths, or as masks in BCC’s PixelChooser masking system, and by improvements to the built-in motion tracker. The preset system has also been tidied up.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCNetworks Engineer - SecurityVIC
- FTSecurity Architect - Perth BasedQLD
- FTSenior Finance Business Analyst, Superannuation, WealthNSW
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- TPSharePoint DeveloperQLD
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- CCDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCCRM Techno FunctionalistQLD
- CCUAT Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTMarket Data Analyst, Investment BankingNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - CCNP - WeipaQLD
- FTSalesforce Project LeadQLD
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsNSW
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- TPBI AnalystQLD
- CCCitrix SpecialistNSW