Boris FX Continuum Complete 5
More than 180 filters
- Huge range of flexible tools, all work as FxPlug, Pixel Chooser and Motion Tracker
- Many filters replicate AE’s own
Overall, the quality of BCC’s filters is high and there is a range of parameters for each effect, but it lacks the on-screen controls of many of Sapphire’s filters, and its lighting tools aren’t as extensive. Editors, especially, will find much here to like.
Price$ 1,133.00 (AUD)
Boasting over 180 filters, Boris Continuum Complete (BCC) covers many bases, including traditional image processors, texture and animation generators, and compositional tools covering areas like keying and motion tracking.
Many of these filters replicate functions found in After Effects CS3, but for users of less filter-heavy editing and compositing tools, BCC 5 is definitely worth exploring. It’s available in AE, FxPlug and AVX versions (though these have to be purchased separately) and supports a wide range of hosts. Unlike some collections, all of BCC 5’s filters have been ported to Apple’s FxPlug, so can take advantage of Final Cut and Motion’s real-time engines.
The filters within BCC are split into seven groups: Colour & Blurs, Distortion & Perspective, Generators, Keys & Matte, Lights, Time, and Wipes. There’s also a separate group for the ten OpenGL-accelerated plug-ins, which use your computer’s graphics card to boost preview rendering performance.
Two useful tools built into all of the filters are the Pixel Chooser and Motion Tracker. The former enables you limit filters to areas of your composition using AE’s own masking tools — you can use its own cropping tool, but this doesn’t allow feathering.
The Motion Tracker is based on the high-grade tracker from the Boris Blue and Red compositing tools — though it can only track one point at a time, and in 2D only. The Match Mover filter uses the tracker, and can quickly replace areas such as signs in moving footage.
Supported hosts: After Effects 7/CS3, Combustion 3/4/2008, Final Cut Pro 6, Media Composer 2.6/3, Motion 3, Premiere Pro 1.5/2/CS3
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCChange Manager- ProcurementNSW
- CCApplication DevelopersQLD
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCApplication Packaging ExpertVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCSoftware Licensing AnalystVIC
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC