Bluetrek SurfaceSound Compact
- Quite versatile, great range on the microphone, great volume levels
- Interface can be quite confusing due to limited buttons
The Bluetrek SurfaceSound Compact is a versatile handsfree mobile accessory. It's not a perfect product, but should suit the needs of most users.
Price$ 139.90 (AUD)
The Bluetrek SurfaceSound Compact is a slimline Bluetooth speaker designed for handsfree, in-car use. With good volume levels and solid reception it works quite well, although using some of its features can be slightly confusing at times. It's not the cheapest handsfree solution available, but its versatility helps make up for this.
Bluetooth connectivity is quite good, and we were able to get the unit connected to our phone within about 20 seconds. The range isn't great, but as long we kept the phone within about a metre of the unit we didn't have any problems. The SurfaceSound Compact itself makes a somewhat annoying beeping sound while trying to connect, but otherwise the Bluetooth functionality is fine.
We found volume to be excellent in our tests, both for incoming and outgoing communication. The microphone was able to clearly pick up speech from up to two metres distance, and the speaker produced good audio with a minimum of distortion; again it was easily audible at distances of up to two metres.
The design is quite innovative; a slimline speaker panel is connected to a fold out microphone arm, which when extended turns the device on. A clip on the back allows it to be attached to sun visors or any other similar device, making handsfree communication while driving a breeze. The fold out microphone arm can also act as a stand for use in other areas, helping to make the SurfaceSound Compact more versatile by allowing it to be used as a speaker phone peripheral as well.
Our biggest complaint with the product was the relatively obscure nature of the interface. Only three buttons are present: "Talk", "Volume +" and "Volume -". All the functions, such as call transfers, hold, call waiting, Bluetooth connections, making and answering calls are controlled by various combinations of these buttons, pressing them either multiple times, in conjunction, or for set periods of time. There certainly appears to be enough room on the device to add more buttons, and a clearer and simpler interface would go a long way towards making this product more intuitive.
The SurfaceSound Compact comes with a USB charging cable and car cigarette lighter plug in, as well as a pair of earphones for private calls. The earphones are of reasonable quality, nothing exceptional, but good enough for phone calls. Users also have the ability to plug in their own earphones or headphones if they'd prefer.
Overall, Bluetrek's SurfaceSound Compact is a highly useful, if at times confusing, product. Its relatively high price means that it's probably best suited to users who wish to take full advantage of its versatility and portability; however, anyone in the market for a handsfree mobile device should be pleased with this product.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Fake heads and robot probes: testing smartphones prior to launch
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
- Xiaomi's Mi6 has the Galaxy S7’s looks, the S8’s power, and iPhone 7’s camera for half the price
- Samsung DeX turns your Galaxy S8 into a shockingly good desktop PC
- Find My iPhone helps nab a thief at Coachella with 100 phones in his backpack
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- FTSales/Account Manager - Education SectorNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCSAP FIORI Technical SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior ERP Project ManagerQLD
- TPAV Design SpecialistNSW
- FTFront-end Developer (UX/UI)NSW
- CCSenior UNIX AdministratorNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- FTIT ArchitectNSW
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- FTSenior Data ConsultantWA
- TPPHP Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTSAP Fiori Technical SpecialistsACT
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorQLD
- FTSAP ABAP Technical specialistACT