BlueAnt Z9i Bluetooth headset
The follow up to the original Z9, BlueAnt's Z9 offers the ability to pair with multiple devices simultaneously via multipoint Bluetooth
- Excellent voice quality, noise isolation, design, shirt-clip, different sized ear buds
- Volume buttons require a firm press, voice isolation notifications mute incoming audio
The BlueAnt Z9i slightly improves on its predecessor thanks to multipoint Bluetooth, making it one of the best Bluetooth headsets on the market.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
BlueAnt's Z9 is one of the best Bluetooth headsets we have ever reviewed. The BlueAnt Z9i is the follow up model and provides the same great call quality, as well as a few new features.
The BlueAnt Z9i Bluetooth headset looks almost identical to its predecessor, with a gloss black finish on the front and matte black casing on the sides and rear. The etched BlueAnt logo and flashing LED surrounding the multifunction button (MFB) are nice touches, as is the built-in shirt clip.
Soft rubber casing around the ear bud means the Z9i is comfortable to wear for extended periods, and both small and large ear buds are included. We found the small one perfect; we were able to wear the Z9i without an ear hook when using it.
The original Z9 Bluetooth headset included only the translucent ear hook in the sales package, but BlueAnt offers an additional rubberised hook with the Z9i. Both detachable ear hooks can be worn on either ear.
The key feature of the BlueAnt Z9i Bluetooth headset is once again the patented Voice Isolation Technology, which allows users to choose between two modes of voice isolation: standard and max. The former is for normal environments, while the latter should be used if there is significant background noise. These modes can be switched during a conversation by pressing the MFB; a voice lets you know what mode you are in, either "voice isolation max", or "voice isolation standard".
We were impressed with this technology and managed to achieve crisp and clear incoming and outgoing audio when using both modes. Slight background noise is still evident, especially in particularly noisy environments, but for most part, the audio was crisp and clear in both modes. Our only complaint is the voice that informs you each time you change the isolation mode; when it plays, you can't hear incoming audio for two or three seconds.
A new addition is multipoint Bluetooth: the BlueAnt Z9i can pair up to five devices, and it can also connect to two of these devices simultaneously. If connected to two phones you can be on one call, place that call on hold and answer an incoming call on the second phone. This is done simply by holding the volume up button for three seconds. A minor complaint is that the volume buttons are firm and require a forceful press to activate.
Pairing is effortless: hold down the MFB down for six seconds, until the blue light flashes, then pair with your mobile phone. Once paired, accessing different functions is easy; click the MFB to answer a call, and hold it for three seconds to end a call. Reject an incoming call by holding the MFB for three seconds when your phone is ringing, and redial your last number by holding the volume up button for three seconds.
Additional functions include activating voice dialling (provided this is supported by your phone), transferring a call from the headset to your phone, muting the microphone, activating call waiting and holding a conference call. The Z9i also assigns different ring-tones for known and unknown contacts.
The BlueAnt Z9i boasts 5.5 hours talk-time and 200 hours of standby time. BlueAnt includes an AC charger in the sales package, along with a flexible USB charger.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC